[comp.sys.hp] beta testing

jthomas@nmsu.edu (James Thomas) (11/30/89)

In article <430014@hpnmdla.HP.COM> darrylo@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Darryl Okahata) writes:

Darryl>      I would also like to say that forthcoming compilers are being
Darryl> beta-tested by a number of HP divisions, ...

Ummm....  Is this inflation?  Inhouse tests used to be called alpha tests.
I guess we should change the request to say that we wished HP would do
gamma tests :-)

Somehow, what the customers want to do with the products is never the same
as what the manufacturer had to do with the products.  After all, we
wouldn't have to ever submit a bug report if that were true :-)

Testily,
Jim

darrylo@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Darryl Okahata) (12/02/89)

In comp.sys.hp, jthomas@nmsu.edu (James Thomas) writes:

> In article <430014@hpnmdla.HP.COM> darrylo@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Darryl Okahata) writes:
>
> Darryl>      I would also like to say that forthcoming compilers are being
> Darryl> beta-tested by a number of HP divisions, ...
>
> Ummm....  Is this inflation?  Inhouse tests used to be called alpha tests.
> I guess we should change the request to say that we wished HP would do
> gamma tests :-)

[ Note: I do not work for the HP division that writes compilers, and so
  the following is based solely upon my observations.  ]

     Well, if the term "beta-test" bothers you, let's call it
"alpha-and-a-half-testing".  Basically, the division that writes
compilers tests them until they are fairly satisfied with it (I'm not
saying that they think it is bug-free; just that it is sufficiently
bug-free for others to test).  I assume that this is what you would call
an "alpha-test" version.  The compiler is then made available to
other internal HP divisions.  At this point, I don't think it makes much
difference whether an internal division or an HP customer torture-tests
the compiler with several hundred thousand lines of code.  Come to think
of it, using internal divisions to test has the advantage of being able
to play LAN games to collect information on compiler statistics and
failures.

     -- Darryl Okahata
	UUCP: {hplabs!, hpcea!, hpfcla!} hpnmd!darrylo
	Internet: darrylo%hpnmd@hpcea.HP.COM

constitute the support, opinion or policy of Hewlett-Packard or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.