	From: seligman@CS.Stanford.EDU (Scott Seligman)
	Subject: HP-UX: unacceptable  [Was: root-over-nfs under HP-UX 6.5]
	Date: 20 Nov 89 22:20:05 GMT

	...  My university is buying new equipment all the time.  Some
	voices can be heard saying "Consider HP!  Great stuff!"  But
	someone will always add "But what about their networking
	software?"  What can I say?

If you are frustrated by the lack of sources for HP-UX, and you already
run Berkeley Unix on VAXen, you might consider running Berkeley Unix on
your HPs too.  I want to say up front that this is NOT a panacea --
hpux is a commercial operating system, Berkeley Unix is a research
operating system.  But if you want to make name service run faster or
if you want to fix an NFS bug or if you want the latest and greatest
networking, AND you are prepared to cope with real Berkeley Unix: you
should run 4.3 BSD instead of hpux.

Currently mt Xinu sells Berkeley Unix for HP 9000 series 300 (68k
based) workstations.  It comes with the latest Sun NFS with diskless
support, 4.3-tahoe disk labels, up-to-date TCP/IP support and other
goodies, and of course full sources are available.  Many (perhaps most)
6.x hpux binaries will run unchanged on Berkeley Unix; this includes
things like X servers and Starbase applications.  mt Xinu probably
would like me to mention that they sell binary licenses too.

	I think I'll save my flame about the C compiler for another day.

Berkeley Unix on HPs uses the GNU C compiler from FSF.  I won't say
that GCC is necessarily less buggy than hpux C, but it does come with
complete sources and it is not tied to a commercial release schedule.
All of our system software is compiled with GCC using full optimization.
Since HP is providing some support to FSF, we hope that GCC on HPs with
Berkeley Unix will remain well-supported in the future.

Our group here at Utah is responsible for the 4.3 port, and we are
continuing to improve it and upgrade it.  I want to say that we have
received generous support from HP for this work and we're very grateful
for it.  If hpux is 'unacceptable' because you need the features of a
research system like Berkeley Unix, I hope the 4.3 BSD port gives you a
reason to consider buying HP anyway.

End sales pitch,

Donn Seeley    University of Utah CS Dept    donn@cs.utah.edu
40 46' 6"N 111 50' 34"W    (801) 581-5668    utah-cs!donn