[comp.sys.hp] Current os version

ab@cathedral.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Alan Butcher) (11/28/89)

What is the current version of the operating system on the
HP9000/835 machines.

My current version is:  [HP Release A.B3.00.5B]
which I feel is old??

johnny@hpcuhc.HP.COM (Johnny Klonaris) (11/29/89)

/ hpcuhc:comp.sys.hp / ab@cathedral.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Alan Butcher) / 12:43 pm  Nov 27, 1989 /
What is the current version of the operating system on the
HP9000/835 machines.

My current version is:  [HP Release A.B3.00.5B]
which I feel is old??
----------
Not too old.  Your are running 3.0; on 800 series machines the
currently released version is 3.1 (though you may see A.B3.11.1A, it's
still 3.1).   The next release is numbered 7.0, in order to converge the
release cycles for the 300 and 800 series.    I'll go out on a limb and
say that you should probably see it before March, barring any catastrophies.

			-jk

gates@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Bill Gates) (11/30/89)

>What is the current version of the operating system on the
>HP9000/835 machines.

3.1

Bill Gates

davew@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Dave_Waller) (11/30/89)

johnny@hpcuhc.HP.COM (Johnny Klonaris) writes:
> / hpcuhc:comp.sys.hp / ab@cathedral.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Alan Butcher) / 12:43 pm  Nov 27, 1989 /
> What is the current version of the operating system on the
> HP9000/835 machines.
>
> My current version is:  [HP Release A.B3.00.5B]
> which I feel is old??
> ----------
> Not too old.  Your are running 3.0; on 800 series machines the
> currently released version is 3.1 (though you may see A.B3.11.1A, it's
> still 3.1).   The next release is numbered 7.0, in order to converge the
> release cycles for the 300 and 800 series.    I'll go out on a limb and
> say that you should probably see it before March, barring any catastrophies.
>
> 			-jk
> ----------

Shoud see it sooner than that -- the bits have been released and
shipments are scheduled before the end of the year. NOTE: THIS IS NOT
OFFICIAL!!!

Dave Waller  \  The opinions expressed are solely my own, and in no way
Hewlett-Packard Co.  \  represent those of my employer (but we all know
dave@hpdstma.ptp.hp.com | hplabs!hpdstma!dave  \  they should!)

ckw@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Chick Webb) (11/30/89)

>                                              I'll go out on a limb and
>say that you should probably see it before March, barring any catastrophies.

This is inaccurate.  The 7.0 Release of HP-UX is now being shipped to
field support personnel (SE's).  Shipments to customers are scheduled to
begin in December.  The first copies will be going out with new systems,
and soon after copies for updating from earlier releases will be
shipped.  Shipments are expected to take 6-8 weeks once they begin.

#define SOAPBOX_MODE_ON

Lest anyone think otherwise, a tremendous amount of work by a great
number of people has gone into the 7.0 Release.  Every effort has been
made to ensure that the quality of this product is up to the standards
that HP's customers have come to expect.  I think that I can safely say
for all of those involved in the project that, "We like it, and we think
you will, too."  If that weren't true, we'd still be working on it.

#undef SOAPBOX_MODE_ON

>			-jk

Chick Webb                          "Common sense is not so common."
Hewlett-Packard Company              -- Voltaire
Cupertino, CA
UUCP: {ucbvax, etc.}!hpda!ckw
ARPA: ckw@hpda.HP.COM

/* Insert Standard Disclaimer Here */

johnny@hpcuhc.HP.COM (Johnny Klonaris) (12/02/89)

> I'll go out on a limb and
> say that you should probably see it before March, barring any catastrophies.
>
> 			-jk
-----
I stand corrected; somewhat.  I intentionally didn't get too specific
because the shipping process does take some time.  Most customers
should see 7.0 before March - however adding in the travel time and
additional time for the delays typically encountered with our overseas
groups, it could be March for some customers.  I intended to give something
of a more general answer (besides - I was tired :-)

		-jk

Disclaimer:  Everything I know is wrong.