[comp.sys.hp] Wanted: caps key disable - HP9000/360

rgh@shell.com (Richard G. Hash) (11/30/89)

I'm sure this must be an oft-asked question, but I would appreciate
any information.

We've just gotten a bunch of 9000/360 workstations, and I want to know how
to disable the "Caps" key on the keyboard (thru software!).  I previously
had a Sun 3/50 which had a similar annoyance, but someone sent me a short
Sun-specific program that disabled it.  Does someone has a similar beast
for a 9000/360, or is there something simpler I've overlooked?

Any help appreciated.

Richard G. Hash        Shell Oil Company       (713) 663-2311
E-Mail: rgh@shell.com            or   rgh@shell.uucp
    or  rgh%shell.uucp@sun.com   or   rgh%shell.uucp@rice.edu
    or  ...!{sun,bcm,rice,psuvax1,decwrl,cs.utexas.edu}!shell!rgh

peter@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Peter Schroeder) (12/02/89)

In article <1447@shell.shell.com> rgh@shell.UUCP (Richard G. Hash) writes:
>We've just gotten a bunch of 9000/360 workstations, and I want to know how
>to disable the "Caps" key on the keyboard (thru software!).

The easiest way I know about is to break the key (seriously, pop it off
and put something underneath before popping it back on) so that it
can't be depressed anymore. It's the first thing we do to an HP keyboard!

Peter

djw@hpldsla.HP.COM (12/05/89)

> We've just gotten a bunch of 9000/360 workstations, and I want to know how
> to disable the "Caps" key on the keyboard (thru software!).

If you are using X, you should check out the keycomp(1) command.
I think it should do the trick.

You could go for a hardware approach:

I pull  of the  caps  key  and  enter  key  (greater  source  of
annoyance  to me), and place a rubber band  around the  keyboard
post.  This stops me bumping  the thing, but still  allows me to
punch on it if I ever need it.  This technique  works for any HP
keyboard!

Or...  Within HP, every second Unix  terminal/workstation I have
seen has the enter key ripped off with tape over the key post.

djw@hpldsla

rer@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Rob Robason) (12/06/89)

> Does someone has a similar beast for a 9000/360, or is there something
> simpler I've overlooked?

I don't know of any software to do it.  I've seen a lot of "Caps" key
caps pryed off around here, though, so the need is obviously legit.
Such software would be nice to have.

Rob "I wouldn't advocate prying off key caps" Robason

jason@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Jason Su) (12/06/89)

If you're running X, try xmodmap.

To change the Caps_Lock key to have Control functionality do:
  xmodmap -e "remove Lock = Caps_Lock" -e "add Control = Caps_Lock"

To change the Caps_Lock key back to Lock functionality do:
  xmodmap -e "remove Control = Caps_Lock" -e "add Lock = Caps_Lock"

To completely ignore/disable the Caps_Lock modifier, do:
  xmodmap -e "clear lock"

You can initialize your server as desired by doing something like:
  xmodmap .xmodmaprc
where .xmodmaprc contains:
  remove Lock = Caps_Lock
  add Control = Caps_Lock

The implementation is left as an exercise to the user.

			-Jay Su
			HP Corvallis Information Systems

chan@hpfcmgw.HP.COM (Chan Benson) (12/07/89)

I sent e-mail, but it got bounced.

Anyway, what operating mode do you wish to disable the caps-lock key
in? I think I can do it for X11; would that be sufficient?

	-- Chan (but I haven't really thought about how yet) Benson

sartin@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Rob Sartin) (12/07/89)

>If you're running X, try xmodmap.

If you're not running X, try a screwdriver.  Gently pry off the key and
save it in case you ever change your mind.  I have a collection of caps
lock and enter keys somewhere (one pair from every HP keyboard that I've
used that wasn't running X).

Disclaimer:  This is probably not recommended or supported.  (Now that
I've announced it in public, I'll probably get billed for the "broken"
keyboards :-).

Rob Sartin			internet: sartin@hplabs.hp.com
Software Technology Lab 	uucp    : hplabs!sartin
Hewlett-Packard			voice	: (415) 857-7592

andyc@hpopd.HP.COM (Andrew Cunningham) (12/07/89)

Or just learn to type properly :-) :-) :-)

apm@hpopd.HP.COM (Andrew Merritt) (12/07/89)

/ hpopd:comp.sys.hp / rgh@shell.com (Richard G. Hash) / 11:46 pm  Nov 29, 1989 /
We've just gotten a bunch of 9000/360 workstations, and I want to know how
to disable the "Caps" key on the keyboard (thru software!).  I previously
had a Sun 3/50 which had a similar annoyance, but someone sent me a short
Sun-specific program that disabled it.  Does someone has a similar beast
for a 9000/360, or is there something simpler I've overlooked?
----------

With Xr11 (I haven't used anything earlier) you can use xmodmap to redefine
the codes that keys generate.  To change the Caps lock key into a second
Control key, put the following in a file:

remove Lock = Caps_Lock
keysym Caps_Lock = Control_R
add Control = Control_R

and then call xmodmap <filename>  in your .x11start file.  A non-portable,
but rerunnable version is:

remove Lock = Caps_Lock
keycode 55 = Control_R
add Control = Control_R

This second version depends on the hardware assigned value 55 being the Caps
Lock key.

Andrew
(Not a spokesperson for anyone).