[comp.sys.hp] Console Boot Puzzle

jeff@dsndata.uucp (Jeff Minnig) (12/01/89)

We are running a 9000/370 System.  When the kernel bootstraps, we get
the following message from the ITE initialization:

>> set_topcat_name: unknown 1024x2048 display planes=0
>>  Bit Mapped Display at 0x560000

We have a 98547 Card as the console driver.  Any ideas why the driver
is giving us this message?

Thanks in advance

-jeff-

	I said it, not the people I work for.
Jeff Minnig                     | LL:   (402) 476-8278
Design Data			|
1033 'O' St.  Suite 324         | net: {hpfcla,mcmi,unocss}!dsndata!jeff
Lincoln NE 68508                |

neutron@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Jack Applin) (12/04/89)

Jeff Minnig writes:

> We are running a 9000/370 System.  When the kernel bootstraps, we get
> the following message from the ITE initialization:
>
> >> set_topcat_name: unknown 1024x2048 display planes=0
> >>  Bit Mapped Display at 0x560000
>
> We have a 98547 Card as the console driver.  Any ideas why the driver
> is giving us this message?

This is a known bug in 7.0.  The graphics driver is trying to figure out
the name of the display, i.e., hp98547.  To do this, it must know the
width, height, and number of planes.  It screws up on the 98547 and
thinks that it has 0 planes, and it can't figure out what sort of
display has 0 planes, so it complains to the kernel message buffer.

This bug only affects the crt_name field in the struct crt_frame_buffer_t
returned by the GCDESCRIBE ioctl.

This bug is fixed in post 7.0 releases.

					-Jack Applin
					 ex-series 300 kernel programmer
					 Hewlett-Packard
					 Ft. Collins, CO

tomg@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Thomas J. Gilg) (12/08/89)

>>  set_topcat_name: unknown 1024x2048 display planes=0
>>  Bit Mapped Display at 0x560000

> We have a 98547 Card as the console driver.  Any ideas why the driver
> is giving us this message?

I don't know why, but I've seen that message with several HP-UX releases,
and have yet to discover any ill effects from it.  Obnoxious though
isn't it...  I'm sending a report to those who could fix it though.

Thomas Gilg
tomg@cv.hp.com