[comp.sys.hp] setting up a mailing list on a HP 9000/835

kus3@tank.uchicago.edu (Bob Kusumoto) (12/10/89)

I have a problem trying to set up a mailing list on an HP9000/835,
here's what I'm trying to do:

in the /usr/lib/aliases file, I add some lines like:

music-gods: :include:/users/joe/maillists/music-gods
music-gods-owner: music-gods-request
music-gods-request: joe

and in the file /users/joe/maillists/music-gods, an everchanging list of
subscribers to the list.  The question is, why am I getting errors to this
alias, and how can I do this, short of setting up a dummy account with a
.forward file.

Bob

tsu@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Stanley Tsu) (12/12/89)

> I have a problem trying to set up a mailing list on an HP9000/835,
> here's what I'm trying to do:
>
> in the /usr/lib/aliases file, I add some lines like:
>
> music-gods: :include:/users/joe/maillists/music-gods
> music-gods-owner: music-gods-request
> music-gods-request: joe
>
> and in the file /users/joe/maillists/music-gods, an everchanging list of
> subscribers to the list.  The question is, why am I getting errors to this
> alias, and how can I do this, short of setting up a dummy account with a
> .forward file.
>
> Bob

Here's how we have it on our system:
sfvan_list:             :include:/usr/lib/mail/mail.lists/sfvan_list
owner-sfvan_list:       tsu

This works on A.B3.10.

Stanley Tsu
Hewlett-Packard
tsu%hpda@hplabs.HP.com

rdg@hpfcmgw.HP.COM (Rob Gardner) (12/13/89)

> I have a problem trying to set up a mailing list on an HP9000/835,
> here's what I'm trying to do:
>
> in the /usr/lib/aliases file, I add some lines like:
>
> music-gods: :include:/users/joe/maillists/music-gods
> music-gods-owner: music-gods-request
> music-gods-request: joe
>
> and in the file /users/joe/maillists/music-gods, an everchanging list of
> subscribers to the list.  The question is, why am I getting errors to this
> alias, and how can I do this, short of setting up a dummy account with a
> .forward file.

What errors do you get? I assume that your mailing list file is
readable and in a searchable directory, and that you've run
'newaliases'.

Rob