[comp.sys.hp] Where does inetd.sec really go ?

notes@misty.boeing.com (Notes admin. (J. Sadler)) (12/21/89)

I was setting up rlpdaemon and when I check the formating for the inetd.sec
file the manual says: "If inetd.sec is not found in  the  /usr/adm  directory,
the security is only that implemented by the servers. "  So why is it in my
/etc directory ?
I can't check all of the manuals because I don't have a full set at home and
I didn't call the response center for the same reason, and I won;t be at the
office till next year.
(Why can't HP put ALL of the reference pages in the REFERENCE manual?
I really don't care what division wrote the manual.)

jim sadler
206-234-9009	email	uunet!bcstec!jsadler|root  | hplabs!hpubvwa!b-mrda!jim

edwin@praxis.cs.ruu.nl (Edwin Kremer) (12/21/89)

In article <1150012@misty.boeing.com> notes@misty.boeing.com (Notes admin.
(J. Sadler)) writes:

 > I was setting up rlpdaemon and when I check the formating for the inetd.sec
 > file the manual says: "If inetd.sec is not found in the /usr/adm directory,
 > the security is only that implemented by the servers. "  So why is it in my
 > /etc directory ?

(You didn't mention what operating system you're using, let's assume it's
 HP-UX 6.5 on the HP9000 series 300)

"inetd.sec" *really* goes into "/usr/adm", no doubt at all!! On my system
there's a "inetd.conf" in "/etc" (which is *fully* correct), no "inetd.sec".
                 ^^^^
Besides, be warned that both "/usr/adm" and "/etc/inetd.conf" are CDF's in
a cluster environment !!!!!

		Good Luck,
						--[ Edwin ]--

--
Edwin Kremer,  Department of Computer Science,   Utrecht University
Padualaan 14,  P.O. Box 80.089,  3508 TB  Utrecht,  The Netherlands

wunder@hp-ses.SDE.HP.COM (Walter Underwood) (12/22/89)

Once upon a time, inetd.sec was in /etc.  At some release, I don't
know which, it moved to /usr/adm.  Seemed kinda strange to me, too.

wunder

tai@hpiag0.IAG.HP.COM (Tai Jin) (12/22/89)

>I was setting up rlpdaemon and when I check the formating for the inetd.sec
>file the manual says: "If inetd.sec is not found in  the  /usr/adm  directory,
>the security is only that implemented by the servers. "  So why is it in my
>/etc directory ?

The inetd.sec file belongs in /usr/adm.  I don't know why you found it
in /etc.

jsadler@misty.boeing.com (Jim Sadler) (12/23/89)

/ misty:comp.sys.hp / edwin@praxis.cs.ruu.nl (Edwin Kremer) /  5:31 am  Dec 21, 1989 /
(J. Sadler)) writes:

 > I was setting up rlpdaemon and when I check the formating for the inetd.sec
 > file the manual says: "If inetd.sec is not found in the /usr/adm directory,
 > the security is only that implemented by the servers. "  So why is it in my
 > /etc directory ?

> (You didn't mention what operating system you're using, let's assume it's
>  HP-UX 6.5 on the HP9000 series 300)

Sorry, I should have said that is is an 825 running 3.1. I took a look at
a 300 running 6.5 and it wasn't in /etc/ or /usr/adm/.  It was in
/etc/newconfig and the README said to put it in the /usr/adm/ directory.
After that I looked in the /etc/newconfig/ on the 800 and the file is
there, but no README.  I still wonder how it got to /etc/.

> "inetd.sec" *really* goes into "/usr/adm", no doubt at all!! On my system
> there's a "inetd.conf" in "/etc" (which is *fully* correct), no "inetd.sec".
>                  ^^^^

That one is in the correct place.
> Besides, be warned that both "/usr/adm" and "/etc/inetd.conf" are CDF's in
> a cluster environment !!!!!
>

> 		Good Luck,
> 						--[ Edwin ]--
>
> --
> Edwin Kremer,  Department of Computer Science,   Utrecht University
> Padualaan 14,  P.O. Box 80.089,  3508 TB  Utrecht,  The Netherlands
> Telephone: +31-30-534104 | UUCP: ...!uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ruuinf!edwin
> Telefax  : +31-30-513791 | Email: edwin@cs.ruu.nl    [131.211.80.5]

 Thanks for the help.

jim sadler
206-234-9009	email	uunet!bcstec!jsadler  | hplabs!hpubvwa!b-mrda!jim