[comp.sys.hp] network print spooling

jalsop@seachg.UUCP (John Alsop) (01/04/90)

HP/UX has a network print spooling capability using a set of programs such
as rlpdaemon, rlpcancel, etc.

Are these programs proprietary to HP, or are they based on publicly
available code?  If the latter, where can a copy be obtained?

Thanks,

John Alsop

Sea Change Corporation
1100 Central Parkway W., Suite 38
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada L5C 4E5
Tel: 416-272-3881 Fax: 416-272-1555
UUCP: ...!uunet!attcan!darkover!seachg!jalsop

burzio@mmlai.UUCP (Tony Burzio) (01/07/90)

In article <162@seachg.UUCP>, jalsop@seachg.UUCP (John Alsop) writes:
> HP/UX has a network print spooling capability using a set of programs such
> as rlpdaemon, rlpcancel, etc.
>
> Are these programs proprietary to HP, or are they based on publicly
> available code?  If the latter, where can a copy be obtained?

The programs are not proprietary (at least not beyond the normal copyrights
and such :-), at least they do exist on Sun and Silicon Graphics.  We have
printer queues set up between our HPs, Suns, and SGs.  With the Suns, however,
you have to tell your HP that you are sending to a BSD system, since they
use a different numbering scheme than SYSV.  Using Suns' PC/NFS (supported
on HP-UX) PCs using DOS can print into this network.  We even got some source
code that purports to accept print jobs to a VAX/VMS system (shudder) but
haven't had time to install it yet.

Hope this helps...

Tony Burzio               * Oh what a tangled web we weave...
Martin Marietta Labs      *
mmlai!burzio@uunet.uu.net *