[comp.sys.hp] Partitions legal for root

jthomas@nmsu.edu (James Thomas) (01/06/90)

This was hidden in an earlier large posting that may not have made it out.
Sorry for trying again.

On an 840, what happens if the root partition is put into section 15?  How
does the boot sequence then work (or does it?).  I've RTFM'ed and don't see
that defined as a legal possibility.  The boot path has four extra ".0"'s -
does one of them specify the unix(tm) major/minor device number as is typed
later when coming up by hand?  Or does the fact that section 15 starts at
the right place work because ISL isn't smart enough to know any better?

I'd like to make my root partition big enough to hold all of the things
that are supposed to be in it (!-).  Since I can't actually just adjust the
partition sizes (see previous posting :-(, I'd like to make use of the
section 15/14 swap in place of 0/1.  Before I go zap my disk and get
something that won't boot, will this work.  (Well actually I won't do it
with the REAL root disk, but why waste time... :-)

Thank you,
Jim Thomas	840 is midas!jthomas@wsmr-emh82.army.mil

campbelr@hpclove.HP.COM (Bob Campbell) (01/09/90)

You should be able to put root on any unused partition that you want.

Refer to the man page for hpuxboot (in section 1M) for details.

Bob Campbell                Some times I wish that I could stop you from
campbelr@hpda.hp.com        talking, when I hear the silly things you say.
Hewlett Packard                                    - Elvis Costello

paul@prcrs.UUCP (Paul Hite) (01/11/90)

In article <JTHOMAS.90Jan5142818@tecate.nmsu.edu>, jthomas@nmsu.edu (James Thomas) writes:
    ( I have reversed his questions to answer the easy one first.)
> Since I can't actually just adjust the
> partition sizes (see previous posting :-(, I'd like to make use of the
> section 15/14 swap in place of 0/1.  Before I go zap my disk and get
> something that won't boot, will this work.  (Well actually I won't do it
> with the REAL root disk, but why waste time... :-)

Section 15 as a root partition works fine.  If you install hp-ux this way, the
installation process will take care of everything.  I get the feeling that you
don't want to re-install, but rather copy one disk to another but moving root
from 0 to 15 in the process.  You should be able to get this to work.
Another way to read your question is that you want to make a 0 to 15 swap
in place on one disk.  I wouldn't want to try that.

> On an 840, what happens if the root partition is put into section 15?  How
> does the boot sequence then work (or does it?).

When you boot an 800 series, the first program to take effect is PDC.  It is
firmware that resides in the cpu.  You provide PDC a boot path like 4.0.0 or
you allow PDC to take the boot path stored in non-volitile memory
automatically.  PDC takes the path that you specify and goes to section 6 of
the the disk. Section 6 is the boot area.  It contains ISL, an AUTO file,
and perhaps some special diagnostics.  PDC sucks in ISL and ISL takes over.
If you are interacting with ISL, you might type in a hpux boot command.  Or
you might allow ISL to automatically execute  the command in the AUTO file.
In either case the command looks something like:
	hpux disc0(4.0.0;4)hp-ux
	                 ^
	                 | This specifies section 4 as the root partition

If you want to change your root partition to be 15, you will need to change
the AUTO file to reflect this so that your 840 can boot automatically.
(Actually since you currently have 0 as root and you are moving to 15 and
since 0 and 15 start on the same sector, you might get away without making
a change to AUTO.  But I would make the change anyway just to "do it right".)
I suggest that you read PDC(1M), ISL(1M), and HPUXBOOT(1M), but you will still
need more info than can be found in the manuals to correctly alter your AUTO
file.  I had to modify the AUTO file on an 825 when we upgraded the disks to
HP-FL.  Below is the script that I used to do this:  (But you will need to
change the echo statement and the dd statement.)
--------------------------begin of script----------------------------------
:
# fixup.boot  --  this script updates the autoexec file in the boot area
#                 and while we're at it, toss in IOMAP
#
#  You must be root and you must cd to a directory with
#  enough space for a copy of uxbootlf.
#
#  Check the echo statement to be sure that it's right.
#
set -x
cp /usr/lib/uxbootlf .
ls -l uxbootlf
lifls -l uxbootlf
echo "hpux disc2(4.0.0;4)hp-ux" > AUTO
lifrm uxbootlf:AUTO
#
#  This lifcp was lifted from one of the customize scripts from HP-UX
#  installation.  The -K2 is undocumented, but I think it means "align the
#  module at a 2 k boundary."
lifcp -r -K2 -T-030001 AUTO uxbootlf:AUTO
#
#  IOMAP is a neat bootable program on a support tape's boot area.  If it's
#  laying around, we will install it.  You can get a copy by dd'ing the boot
#  area of a support tape into a file and then using lifcp to extract IOMAP.
test -f IOMAP && lifcp -r -K2 -T-12960 IOMAP uxbootlf:IOMAP
ls -l uxbootlf
lifls -l uxbootlf
dd if=uxbootlf of=/dev/rdsk/c2000d0s6 bs=100k
cp uxbootlf /usr/lib

Paul Hite   PRC Realty Systems  McLean,Va   uunet!prcrs!paul    (703) 556-2243
                      DOS is a four letter word!