    To: tcp-ip@nic.ddn.mil, ietf-interest@venera.isi.edu,
            vmtp-ip@gregorio.stanford.edu
    Subject: IP Multicasting in SunOS
    Date: Fri, 05 Jan 90 16:40:07 -0500

    Below is a copy of the RFE (Request for Enhancement) I submitted to
    Sun asking them to support IP Multicasting.  I'd like to encourage
    other people to do the same, and not just with Sun, but with other
    vendors too.  For most BSD 4.3 based systems the code is already
    available so implementation should not be too difficult from a
    technical aspect.  The hard part is convincing them that we want it.

    Jeff

    The purpose of this RFE is to request that SunOS support IP multicast
    communications and Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP) as soon
    as possible.

    IP Multicasting and IGMP, as defined in [RFC1112], are both
    "recommended standard" internet protocols for use in the DARPA
    Internet.  IP Multicasting is listed as a feature that "SHOULD" be
    implemented and IGMP is a listed as a feature that "MAY" be
    implemented in [RFC1122].

    Whenever multicast capability has been made available on local area
    networks, applications which exploited and benefited from it have
    rapidly evolved.  Since the Internet is moving toward an environment of
    high-speed circuits, and high-performance hosts, we can expect an
    increasing demand for real-time interactive and transaction-style
    applications not just on local networks but across the nation.

    IP multicasting provides many benefits.  On the local network level it
    reduces the amount of broadcast traffic a host must process.  A host
    need only subscribe to the multicast groups it desires.  On a regional
    and national level multicasting will reduce the amount of traffic
    required to "flood" information to distributed applications in the
    internet.

    One protocol to support wide-area multicasting already exists, more
    sophisticated ones are under currently under development, support is
    already committed by some major router vendors.  Widely available
    support for IP multicasting in SunOS would greatly benefit this
    development.

    One major use for IP multicasting is the Open Shortest Path First
    (OSPF) designed by the IETF and submitted as a "proposed protocol" for
    Internet routing.  OSPF is a much more robust interior routing
    protocol than RIP and is a major candidate to be the "recommended
    standard" interior routing protocol for the Internet.  OSPF was
    designed to use IP multicasting instead of IP broadcasting to reduce
    the broadcast traffic that must be handled by non-participating hosts.

    Suns are the Unix system of choice for use as high speed routers.
    Their ability to support IP multicasting and hence OSPF will be
    crucial in their continuing to be so.  The Internet of the near future
    will not be able to survive without a more robust interior routing
    protocol than RIP.

    Sun has proven itself to be a leader in workstation field, especially
    in wide-spread use of networking.  Implementation of IP multicasting
    would help maintain this leadership.

    RFC1112:
            Deering, S. "Host Extensions for IP Multicasting".  August,
            1989.

    RFC1122
            Internet Engineering Task Force. "Requirements for Internet
            Hosts -- Communication Layers".  October 1989.

End of Original Message.

dfc@hpindda.HP.COM (Don Coolidge) (01/11/90)

We don't have IP multicasting in our current release, since HP-UX
networking has been 4.2BSD-based to date.

However, we've already merged it into our next release, which has
4.3BSD-ish networking.

As for a release date, I'd suggest contacting your local HP rep.

- Don Coolidge
  HP Information Networks Division

Disclaimer:  Of course, this is only me talking for myself, not for HP.