[comp.sys.hp] Support from the net

wayne@dsndata.uucp (Wayne Schlitt) (01/11/90)

In article <7370066@hpfcso.HP.COM> rjn@hpfcso.HP.COM (Bob Niland) writes:

> [ a good answer to a question deleted ... ]
>
> By the way, netnews is a very slow and capricious way to get questions
> answered.  If you have either HP TeamLine or HP ResponseLine software
> support services, you can direct questions about supported HP products to
> your regional HP Response Center.  HP people who respond to netnews
> questions are donating our time.  We not have the full resources of a
> Response Center at our disposal, and the person who knows the answer to any
> given question may not be reading news this week, or month, or...

very true, and I for one, greatly appreciate all of the help that the
people at HP have given to this group.  i realize that you are
"donating" your time, and that this group should not be a replacement
for software support.

on the other hand, asking questions here does have one advantage.  i
would probably have not asked the question you answered, but i did
read the response and i learned something i didnt know.  now, i will
probably not have to ever ask the question.  when someone calls the
support line, only one person gets an answer.  when someone posts a
question here, many many people get the answer.  there is a certain
kind of efficiency in this type of forum.

when i post a question, i try to make sure that it is a type of
question that many people would be interested in the answer to.  i
also try to answer the questions that i know.

yes, news groups are not a substitute to good vendor support, but good
vendor support isnt a substitute for news groups either.

-wayne