[comp.sys.hp] hp3000 mpe & terminals query...

dan@blender.UUCP (Dan Keizer) (01/05/90)

Is there an easy way to have the 3000 terminal ports stop their use of
the enq/ack (^E/^F) flow?
As a side note, is there a way to have "cu" automatically feed a ^F to
the 3000 after receipt of a ^E?
Dan.

frank@hpuvfpa.HP.COM (Frank Carrick) (01/15/90)

> Is there an easy way to have the 3000 terminal ports stop their use of
> the enq/ack (^E/^F) flow?
> As a side note, is there a way to have "cu" automatically feed a ^F to
> the 3000 after receipt of a ^E?
> Dan.
----------
Does your version of cu have a "-q" option?  This should enable enq/ack
protocol.

Frank

markf@hpupnja.HP.COM (Mark Fresolone) (01/15/90)

>Is there an easy way to have the 3000 terminal ports stop their use of
>the enq/ack (^E/^F) flow?

My vague memory of this issue (as of about 4 years ago...) is that you can
only turn off ENQ/ACK (^E/^F), and turn on output-only XON/XOFF on an MPE
port set up for printing ...

>As a side note, is there a way to have "cu" automatically feed a ^F to
>the 3000 after receipt of a ^E?

... but the good news is, all HP-UX systems have a "-q" option to cu to allow
ENQ/ACK handshaking.  See cu(1) for other MPE features like ^Q prompting ...

>Dan.
Mark

dcarter@ferret.rtech.com (Dan Carter) (01/16/90)

In article <83@blender.UUCP> dan@blender.UUCP (Dan Keizer) writes:
>Is there an easy way to have the 3000 terminal ports stop their use of
>the enq/ack (^E/^F) flow?
>As a side note, is there a way to have "cu" automatically feed a ^F to
>the 3000 after receipt of a ^E?
>Dan.

Configuring the LDEV as termtype 18 (Brand X ASCII terminal, as opposed to a
full-function HP terminal) will eliminate ENQ/ACK.  This can be done perma-
nently, as a boot-time characteristic of the device, or programmatically, with
FCONTROL(38).  Note that there are side effects:  you won't get the DC1
trigger on reads, which is only of consequence if you're doing block reads
(including terminal status and reads from the display [ESC d]), you won't be
able to run VPLUS applications (full-screen, block-mode) while so configured,
and you may need to invent some other flow-control mechanism if the HP3000 can
overrun the target device.

Regarding "cu", I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the term.

In a different posting, you inquire about a memory parity error you experienced
on an HP3000.  In ten years of HP3000 programming and system management, I've
seen that only once, on an aged Series 40 that had been unmercifully overheated
due to a weekend air conditioning failure.  You should definitely get hardware
service to take care of it.

Dan Carter
Ingres Corporation
dcarter@rabbit.rtech.com

petes@hpindwa.HP.COM (Pete Smoot) (01/16/90)

In comp.sys.hp, dan@blender.UUCP (Dan Keizer) writes:

dan> Is there an easy way to have the 3000 terminal ports stop their use of
dan> the enq/ack (^E/^F) flow?

I don't know about MPE/V systems, but on MPE XL you should be able to log
in and set your terminal type to 10, e.g.
  hello mgr.sys;term=10
This should get you XON/XOFF flow control.

dan> As a side note, is there a way to have "cu" automatically feed a ^F to
dan> the 3000 after receipt of a ^E?

My man page says use the -q option.

-- Pete

bill@hpuorfa.HP.COM (Bill Chidester) (01/16/90)

>/ hpuorfa:comp.sys.hp / dan@blender.UUCP (Dan Keizer) /  4:11 am  Jan  5, 1990 /
>Is there an easy way to have the 3000 terminal ports stop their use of
>the enq/ack (^E/^F) flow?
>As a side note, is there a way to have "cu" automatically feed a ^F to
>the 3000 after receipt of a ^E?
>Dan.
>----------

    I'm not an HP3000 type, but as I recall there are ways of logging
    on as a "dumb" terminal.  Setting your "termtype" to either 15 or
    18 usually does it.  I don't think that uses any flow control at
    all (i.e., no XON/XOFF either).  An example, when logging in:

		:HELLO,BOZO.CLOWN;TERM=15

    This oughta do for logging on -- needless to say, block mode is a
    no-no without any handshake.

---------------
hpuorfa!bill

      Bill Chidester
      HP Orlando
      (407) 826-8228

defaria@hpclapd.HP.COM (Andy DeFaria) (01/17/90)

>/ hpclapd:comp.sys.hp / dcarter@ferret.rtech.com (Dan Carter) /  2:30 pm  Jan 15, 1990 /
>
>Configuring the LDEV as termtype 18 (Brand X ASCII terminal, as opposed to a
>full-function HP terminal) will eliminate ENQ/ACK.  This can be done perma-
>nently, as a boot-time characteristic of the device, or programmatically, with
>FCONTROL(38).  Note that there are side effects:  you won't get the DC1
>trigger on reads, which is only of consequence if you're doing block reads
>(including terminal status and reads from the display [ESC d]), you won't be
>able to run VPLUS applications (full-screen, block-mode) while so configured,
>and you may need to invent some other flow-control mechanism if the HP3000 can
>overrun the target device.

You can also sign on with  term type 18 (HELLO username.acctname; TERM=18).
As for side effects, I haven't  noticed any loss  of  data with any of HP's
newer terminals (I think because  they have a larger  internal  buffer).  I
have  successfully  run  VPLUS (formspec)  and  TDP's  full  screen editing
without   any  loss.  If the  HP3000 is  bogged  down and   you are sending
hundreds of lines of data you may get some truncated though so be careful.