[comp.sys.hp] Opinion wanted on HP Deskjet

sarvind@somewhere.Berkeley.EDU (Arvind Srinivasan) (01/05/90)

I am planning to purchase a good quality printer for my
IBM PC.  I am considering the HP Deskjet as a possible
cheaper alternative to a laser printer and would greatly
appreciate your comments on its reliability and
effectiveness as a laser printer substitute. How expensive
is it to maintain in the long run as compared to a
standard LQ printer?

Thanks in advance,

kg@elan.elan.com (Ken Greer) (01/07/90)

From article <33469@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, by sarvind@somewhere.Berkeley.EDU (Arvind Srinivasan):
> I am planning to purchase a good quality printer for my
> IBM PC.  I am considering the HP Deskjet

For a little bit more, I'd go for the new LaserJet IIP.  It's
been selling for < $1000.

flinton@eagle.wesleyan.edu (01/07/90)

In article <33469@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, sarvind@somewhere.Berkeley.EDU
(Arvind Srinivasan) writes:

>      ... I am considering the HP Deskjet ...  How expensive
> is it to maintain ...

An outfit in New Jersey (Thinkfinity?  Raven Systems?) bottles ink fluid
with which to refill the DeskJet print cartridge.  A four oz. bottle lists
for about the same as does an HP print cartridge, but will refill it often.
Mail me for further details -- they're home, alas, and I'm not.  -- Fred

Fred E.J. Linton  Wesleyan U. Math. Dept.  649 Sci. Tower  Middletown, CT 06457

ARPA/Internet:  FLINTON@eagle.Wesleyan.EDU           (preferred)
Bitnet:         FLINTON@WESLEYAN[.bitnet]            (works too)
on ATT-Mail:    !fejlinton                     ( ...!attmail!fejlinton )
Tel.:           + 1 203 776 2210 (home)  OR  + 1 203 347 9411 x2249 (work)

neff@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Dave Neff) (01/09/90)

> I am planning to purchase a good quality printer for my
> IBM PC.  I am considering the HP Deskjet
>
>> For a little bit more, I'd go for the new LaserJet IIP.  It's
>> been selling for < $1000.

When comparing the DeskJet Plus to the LaserJet IIP, remember the
DeskJet can do a page of 300 DPI graphics "out of the box" but the
LaserJet IIP will require more RAM.  If you plan to do full page
300DPI graphics the cost of RAM in the IIP must be factored into the
price comparision.  I don't have the price of the IIP RAM upgrade
available off the top of my head.  The DeskJet Plus will generally
be faster for graphics but the IIP faster for text.  So if your
application is generally text, the IIP could be a better choice,
but if its generally graphics, the DeskJet Plus would be allot
cheaper and give good performance.

As for cost of use, the LaserJet can be cheaper, but if you mix using
the DeskJet's draft mode with the DeskJet's letter quality mode
at about a 50/50 ratio the cost per page is comparable.  Once
you start refilling toner or cartridges (not recommended by HP)
the usage cost comparisons are totally different.

Of course, whether you buy a LaserJet IIP or a DeskJet Plus doesn't
matter to me, it all goes to a good cause :-).

Dave Neff
neff@hpvcfs1.HP.COM

dave@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM (David C. Mueller) (01/17/90)

Boy am I glad somebody started this discussion...

	While I was on vacation I had someone ask me whether he should
buy a deskjet or a IIP.  His application is that of a fledgling
writer and hence his output will be almost entirely text.

	To him, letter quality is of the highest priority...so I
recommended the IIP since he was willing to spend the additional
money.  One thing that I did not consider was how the two printers
support left and right justification to give those lovely even edges
on both sides of the paper.  Does this require some graphical
processing to add white space between characters?  If so, does he
need the extra RAM for the IIP?

	What would you recommend to this guy?

Dave (I'm not into printers) Mueller
hp-lsd!dave