[comp.sys.hp] HP configuration question.

icsu6000@caesar.cs.montana.edu (Jaye Mathisen) (01/18/90)

Suppose I had a 9000/370.  Can I have the following interface cards installed
at the same time?

1 SCSI
2 Hi-speed HP-IB
1 HPIB

along with the graphics cards, and stuff?  In the price manual, it mentions
that you can't order Hi-speed hpib and scsi at the same time, why not?

Basically, I want to have both SCSI and HPIB disks/tapes off the same machine.
Is this doable?
| Jaye Mathisen,systems manager       Internet: icsu6000@caesar.cs.montana.edu|
| 410 Roberts Hall                      BITNET: icsu6000@mtsunix1.bitnet      |
| Dept. of Computer Science	                                              |

mjb%hoosier.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Mark Bradakis) (01/18/90)

In article <3011@caesar.cs.montana.edu> icsu6000@caesar.cs.montana.edu (Jaye Mathisen) writes:

>Suppose I had a 9000/370.  Can I have the following interface cards installed
>at the same time?
>
>1 SCSI
>2 Hi-speed HP-IB
>1 HPIB

>along with the graphics cards, and stuff?  In the price manual, it mentions
>that you can't order Hi-speed hpib and scsi at the same time, why not?

Yes, you can if you have an expander cabinet.  The reason they say you can't
have both is because the two options listed both use a daughterboard on the
CPU card.  Only room for one, so if you get a SCSI built in you need to get
a separate IO card for fast HPIB.  But we have machines with both SCSI and
HPIB disks doing just fine.

mjb.

mjb@hoosier.utah.edu

"I would've taken the other road, but didn't think the lake was that deep!"

kinsell@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Dave Kinsell) (01/18/90)

>>Suppose I had a 9000/370.  Can I have the following interface cards installed
>>at the same time?
>>
>>1 SCSI
>>2 Hi-speed HP-IB
>>1 HPIB

>>along with the graphics cards, and stuff?  In the price manual, it mentions
>>that you can't order Hi-speed hpib and scsi at the same time, why not?

>Yes, you can if you have an expander cabinet.  The reason they say you can't
>have both is because the two options listed both use a daughterboard on the
>CPU card.  Only room for one, so if you get a SCSI built in you need to get
>a separate IO card for fast HPIB.  But we have machines with both SCSI and
>HPIB disks doing just fine.

There's also a DIO-1 card available for SCSI now, the 98658A.  This
might be of interest to customers who already own the high-speed HP-IB
daughterboard.

Regards
Dave Kinsell
kinsell@hpfcmb.hp.com

kean9742@neptune.uucp (Kean Stump) (01/19/90)

HP does make two versions of the SCSI card and two versions of the fast
HP-IB card. We have a 9000/370 with the piggyback fast HP-IB card and
the backplane version of the SCSI card (98658A) running quite well.

kean

Oregon State University                          Kean Stump
College of Oceanography                          kean@cs.orst.edu
Corvallis, Oregon                               {tektronix,hp-pcd}!orstcs!kean
The opinions in this article are MINE, not my employers. Don't Worry About Them.