[comp.sys.hp] HP's plans to support C++?

bla@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Brad Ahlf) (02/01/90)

> Does HP have any plans to produce their own C++ compiler in the
> near future?  I'm dissatisfied with the level of support of HP
> machines for AT&T's cfront and GNU's g++, and would like to use a
> real system.

Yes.  And thanks for asking :-) :-)

At UniForum, HP announced C++ 2.0 products for HP9000 Series 300 and
Series 800/600 and HP/Apollo MC680X0 and PRISM systems.
Customers and competitors were both very impressed with the HP offerings.
A C++ product (1.2) is already available on Apollo platforms.
Third parties like CCS and Oregon Software also sell C++ on HP platforms.

The HP products will be orderable (on the corporate price list) in April,
with availability in May.  Contact your local Sales Rep (tell them to
order HP C++/HP-UX Data Sheet with part# 5952-1568 if they don't know
anything yet) or call the Customer Information Center (1-800-752-0900).

Short summary:  HP's port of ATT cfront 2.0 to HP9000 and Apollo platforms.
HP9000 includes object-oriented debugger!, tool support, a general-purpose
data abstraction library, and header files for HP-UX, X11, Motif, and more.
HP9000 tools include gprof, lex, yacc, nm, make, mkmf, c++filt, and dem.
HP C++ uses command line options and pragmas consistent with HP C.  16-bit
character NLS support for literals and comments.  One pass linking.
C preprocessor support for C++.  All ATT 2.0 class libraries.  Global
optimization.  Generates K&R or ANSI C code.  Interlanguage calling.
Full ATT and HP documentation.  HP quality is also included in all of the
C++ products, of course.

The HP9000 and Apollo implementations share source code and are of course
highly compatible.  The HP and Apollo implementations differ somewhat on
system-related things like debugger, libraries, headers, and tool support.

I think that you will like these products a LOT, but I am obviously biased,
so check it out for yourself - Please!

> Am I dreaming?

No.  And you can probably expect other C++ products in the future too.
And no, we can't talk about them yet so don't ask.

> Cliff Beshers

Brad Ahlf
Hewlett-Packard
bla%hpda@hplabs.hp.com

burdick@hpindda.HP.COM (Matt Burdick) (02/02/90)

> Does HP have any plans to produce their own C++ compiler in the near
> future?  I'm dissatisfied with the level of support of HP machines for
> AT&T's cfront and GNU's g++, and would like to use a real system.

From comp.sys.apollo:
---------------
> We just announced C++ 2.0 for both Apollo and HP9000 platforms
> at Uniforum. It is expected to be available in May.

> John Vasta                Hewlett-Packard Apollo Systems Division
> vasta@apollo.hp.com       M.S. CHA-01-LT
---------------

I don't know if this means we have C++ 1.0 right now on Apollo or HP9000
platforms (or both), but I believe 2.0 is a C++ -> C translator with
provisions for source-level debugging on the C++ code.

								-matt
--
Matt Burdick                    | Hewlett-Packard
burdick@hpda.cup.hp.com   OR    |

steve-t@hpfcso.HP.COM (Steve Taylor) (02/02/90)

/comp.sys.hp/beshers@cs.cs.columbia.edu (Clifford Beshers)/10:39am Jan 31,1990/
} Does HP have any plans to produce their own C++ compiler in the near future?

	Here's a condensed version of a string that appeared in:
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apollo 			Subject: C++ v2.0 When?

From: dbfunk@ICAEN.UIOWA.EDU (David B Funk) 	Date: Sat, 20 Jan 1990 2:09GMT
	Scanning through the sr10.2 release I see provisions for C++ v2.0
	in the include files and debugger.  Does anybody have any idea when
	it will be released?	 Dave Funk

From: vasta@apollo.HP.COM (John Vasta) 		Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1990 22:11GMT

From: speyer@joy.cad.mcc.com (Bruce Speyer) 	Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1990 20:31GMT
	Thanks to John for posting the Apollo/HP C++ information.
	I had previously seen the 1/22/90 page#5 Unix Today announcement which
	told me that the product will be released in May, it is the same source
	on both platforms, and the price starts at $1600 and rises depending
	upon the platform.
	Thats all the information I know, can anybody supply more details?
	At least, Is this a translator or compiler?
Bruce Speyer / MCC CAD Program                        WORK: [512] 338-3668
3500 W. Balcones Center Dr.,  Austin, TX. 78759       ARPA: speyer@mcc.com

From: vasta@apollo.HP.COM (John Vasta) 		Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1990 19:46GMT
	It is based upon the AT&T 2.0 translator release. Source level debug
	support is included on both platforms.
John Vasta                Hewlett-Packard Apollo Systems Division
vasta@apollo.hp.com       M.S. CHA-01-LT
(508) 256-6600 x6362      300 Apollo Drive, Chelmsford, MA 01824
UUCP: {decwrl!decvax, mit-eddie, attunix}!apollo!vasta

wunder@hp-ses.SDE.HP.COM (Walter Underwood) (02/02/90)

   Does HP have any plans to produce their own C++ compiler in the
   near future?

We showed C++ at Uniforum.  A supported cfront (with *many* fixes),
and support in the debugger.  We have been using it internally for
real projects and it works just fine.

A pure compiler would be a much larger project.  Personally, I think
that debugger support is more important than the compiling tecnology.

As always, contact your local office for more info.

Walter "not in the compiler labs" Underwood

manoj@hplego.HP.COM (Manoj Dadoo) (02/02/90)

<< Does HP have any plans to produce their own C++ compiler in the
<< near future?  I'm dissatisfied with the level of support of HP
<< machines for AT&T's cfront and GNU's g++, and would like to use a
<< real system.
<<
<< Am I dreaming?

HP announce a C++ product for HP 9000 s300 and s800 computers as well as
Apollo computers. The HP C++ will be available with a source level debugger.
We belive HP C++ symbolic debugger has industry leading functionalities for
debugging object oriented features of C++. The debugger was shown recently at
Uniforum conference.

HP C++ will be on price list in April 1990 and should be available shortly
aftrewards for customer shipments.

Manoj

dan@hpurvmc.HP.COM ( Dan Felman (SE) ) (02/02/90)

/ hpurvmc:comp.sys.hp / beshers@cs.cs.columbia.edu (Clifford Beshers) / 12:39 pm  Jan 31, 1990 /

Does HP have any plans to produce their own C++ compiler in the
near future?  I'm dissatisfied with the level of support of HP
machines for AT&T's cfront and GNU's g++, and would like to use a
real system.

Am I dreaming?
Cliff Beshers
Columbia University Computer Science Department
beshers@cs.columbia.edu
Cliff Beshers
Columbia University Computer Science Department
beshers@cs.columbia.edu

dan@hpurvmc.HP.COM ( Dan Felman (SE) ) (02/02/90)

Sorry for the last response.

The answer is ..... definitely YES...

If what I hear is correct, 8.0 should bring a C++ 2.0 plus support
under xdb .....

Regards,
Dan