[comp.sys.hp] xline for hpux 7.0

milburn@me10.lbl.gov (John Milburn) (02/01/90)

Has anyone got a copy of "xline" for 7.0. I saw a blurb about
it in Unix Today!, but don't find it in my system :-(.

-jem
John Milburn - Advanced Light Source - Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
INTERNET: JEMilburn@lbl.gov   BITNET:    JEMilburn@LBL.bitnet
UUCP:      {...}!ucbvax!lbl.gov!JEMilburn
SnailMail: 1 Cyclotron Road 46-161 Berkeley, Ca. 94720  Ph:  (415) 486-6969

rocky@hpfcmgw.HP.COM (Rocky Craig) (02/03/90)

> Has anyone got a copy of "xline" for 7.0.

"xline" is one of the many pieces of the "Instant Ignition" option for
Series 300s.  HP-UX is installed on the disk at the factory and configured
to come up running X Windows.  All you have to do is plug your boxes
in and turn them on, and you're up and running HP-UX.

xline is only available with the Instant Ignition option.

Rocky Craig
Hewlett-Packard Workstation Group, Marketing Event Technical Support
3404 E. Harmony Road, Ft. Collins, Colorado 80525-9599

Internet:	rocky%hpfcmr@hplabs.hp.com
UUCP:		...!{hplabs | hpu*}!hpfcmr!rocky

This article does not represent the official position of the Hewlett-Packard
Company.  The above data is provided for informational purposes only.  It is
supplied without warranty of any kind.

milburn@me10.lbl.gov (John Milburn) (02/03/90)

In article <1080120@hpfcmgw.HP.COM> rocky@hpfcmgw.HP.COM (Rocky Craig) writes:
>> Has anyone got a copy of "xline" for 7.0.
> [...]
>xline is only available with the Instant Ignition option.

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I'm paying a penalty for doing the installation work myself?

What else am I missing by not having bought a preconfigured disc from HP?

I find this answer VERY disturbing. :-((

markf@hpupnja.HP.COM (Mark Fresolone) (02/05/90)

>>xline is only available with the Instant Ignition option.
>
>WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!
>Now I'm paying a penalty for doing the installation work myself?
>What else am I missing by not having bought a preconfigured disc from HP?
>I find this answer VERY disturbing. :-((

Sooorrry about the inconvenience.  (I could almost say, "I find it VERY
disturbing that you find it VERY disturbing!  ;-)  The word we have gotten
from marketing is that this was the best way for the lab to get XLine out
before 8.0.  I give 'em credit for not monkeying with 7.0 late in the game.
From what I understand, in fact, XLine product/license-wise is considered
part of HP-UX.  So, if you already license HP-UX and can't wait for general
distribution (I have no idea when or in what form that may be), try
contacting your local sales office.

#include <disclaimer.h>
Mark Fresolone

algoss@hpubmaa.HP.COM (Al Gosselin) (02/05/90)

There is no "charge" for the instant ignition option(s). These options are
nos. 405-410 and they include a SCSI disk, a 9144 (optional) and preloaded
software. They also include a healthy discount. The computer comes up
running xlogin and goes into preset Xsession logins. One of my customers
bought it and had his system "running" in less than 1/2 hour, from sealed
boxes to logged in. The X environment software is available separately.
It has a ten-digit part number starting with 98887 (I think; It's sunday
night as I write this!).

HP is trying to make HP-UX Systems easier to use and administer. Please
save your flames for after you have all of the data.

Regards,
Algoss

(Standard Disclaimer goes here)