[comp.sys.hp] Any interest in HP150 freeware?

scott@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Scott Linn) (02/03/90)

/ hpcvca:comp.sys.hp / belkin@teecs.UUCP (Hershel Belkin) /  8:02 pm  Jan 30, 1990 /

>Obviously the market has long since vanished, but I'm wondering if there
>might still be some interest in the product itself, in a "freeware"
>release...

I would like to get a copy of this.

>It just seems a shame to let it die if there are any 150-users out
>there who might want to use it.  I'd be glad to make it available
>(in a binary version) somehow, but I'd like some suggestions as to
>how best accomplish this.  Any suggestions would be welcomed.

I wouldn't mind a uuencoded posting here, but I'm sure some people would
complain about it...

On the other hand, maybe people could send a letter with a disk and a check
to cover postage, and you could mail them out?

scott linn
scott@hpcvcbh.hp.com

english@uncw.UUCP (Warren R. English Jr.) (02/04/90)

>Several years ago I was involved in marketing a software product for
>the HP150 system, called TEMPO/150.  This was a touch-driven calendar
>scheduling tool with a lot of bells and whistles -- useable ONLY
>on the HP150 (any version) with a touch interface.

Why yes there is very much interest. I would like a copy, but I do not
know a way to get one here.

>It just seems a shame to let it die if there are any 150-users out
>there who might want to use it.  I'd be glad to make it available
>(in a binary version) somehow, but I'd like some suggestions as to
>how best accomplish this.  Any suggestions would be welcomed.

>Any interest? Or should we let the HP die quietly?

I feel that it is a damn shame that my computer is almost extinct.
The HP150 w/touchscreen II is one of the best computers I have
worked on (8088 models), that special feel of the keyboard, and of course
the touchscreen which sets it apart from any other pc. Although
compatibilty is the main problem, seems there is no reason for this
piece of artwork to go down with the rest of the dinosaurs. So
all you other HP150 owners need to ban together and revive the species.

I mean think about the first time you touched the screen........

/*****************************************************************************
Warren Ray English Jr.                          University of NC at Wilmington
Mathematical Sciences
{...,mcnc}!ecsvax!uncw!english
english@ecsvax!uncw
(Of course if I had the money I would buy a "real" computer)
*****************************************************************************/

sharon@asylum.SF.CA.US (Sharon Fisher) (02/05/90)

In article <593@uncw.UUCP> english@uncw.UUCP (Warren R. English Jr.) writes:
>>Several years ago I was involved in marketing a software product for
>>the HP150 system, called TEMPO/150.  This was a touch-driven calendar
>>scheduling tool with a lot of bells and whistles -- useable ONLY
>>on the HP150 (any version) with a touch interface.
>>It just seems a shame to let it die if there are any 150-users out
>>there who might want to use it.  I'd be glad to make it available
>>(in a binary version) somehow, but I'd like some suggestions as to
>>how best accomplish this.  Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Post it to the HP conference in CompuServe.  They've got tons of HP
150 stuff.

>I feel that it is a damn shame that my computer is almost extinct.
>The HP150 w/touchscreen II is one of the best computers I have
>worked on (8088 models), that special feel of the keyboard, and of course
>the touchscreen which sets it apart from any other pc. Although
>compatibilty is the main problem, seems there is no reason for this
>piece of artwork to go down with the rest of the dinosaurs. So
>all you other HP150 owners need to ban together and revive the species.

(I'm writing this on an HP150A -- not a II -- and I still like it.
I've had it since 1983, and it works fine -- I've been running my own
writing business on it for more than a year.  However, it's soon going
to get replaced by a 386 -- simply because I need multitasking and PC
compatibility.  But it makes a great wp and telecomm machine -- no
comm sw required unless you're downloading or uploading.)

scott@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Scott Linn) (02/06/90)

/ hpcvca:comp.sys.hp / english@uncw.UUCP (Warren R. English Jr.) / 11:17 pm  Feb  3, 1990 /

>I feel that it is a damn shame that my computer is almost extinct.
>The HP150 w/touchscreen II is one of the best computers I have
>worked on (8088 models), that special feel of the keyboard, and of course
>the touchscreen which sets it apart from any other pc. Although
>compatibilty is the main problem, seems there is no reason for this
>piece of artwork to go down with the rest of the dinosaurs. So
>all you other HP150 owners need to ban together and revive the species.

Speaking of this...

I have a couple of display programs I have written for the 150.  They are very
similar in nature.  The first will display MacPaint files on the 150; you can
scroll vertically and horizontally through them.  Also, you can convert the
file to MS Windows 1.0 format (for use with Windows 1.03 on the 150).  Also,
you can print to a thinkjet at the PRN: port.

The second program is pretty close to the first, but displays GIF files.  It
can also multiply the x and y size by an integer multiple (to restore aspect
ratio), it does dithering to handle the various colors, and you can adjust the
color value to mono equation by individual color values or by a multiplier, so
that you essentially change the contrast.

I'm not quite finished with the GIF viewer yet (conversion to Paint format
isn't completed).  Is there anyone out there who would be interested?

Scott Linn
scott@hpcvcbh.hp.com