[comp.sys.hp] Digitizing tablets in X?

stroyan@hpfcso.HP.COM (Mike Stroyan) (02/07/90)

r1yc@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (Yutang Chuang) writes:

>> seth@ZURICH.AI.MIT.EDU (Seth Goldstein) writes:
>>
>>I'm interested in using a digitizer as a pointing device.
>>Could someone please point me in the right direction?
>>(Any existing extensions or extension proposals out there?)
>
>I am also interested in using a digitizer (especially large size
>i.e. E-size and above) as a pointing device.
>
>We have an HP9000/370 and HP does support digitizers but those are
>only up to ANSI B-size and also use HP-HIL interface.  If we use
>other vendors' E-size digitizers they are usually RS-232 interface.
>How can we integrate an RS-232 E-size digitizer with X11 (actually
>with HP's X11 since we intend to use the digitizer with HP's graphic
>starbase-in-X) and still maintain full function of digitizer feature
>such as rubberbanding in starbase and X11? Am I asking for something
>which is not there?  I would appreciate any helpful comments. Thanks.

The X server will work with an HIL digitizer as the pointer device,
but there is no support for other digitizers.  The HIL devices can
be specified in /usr/lib/X0devices.

There is a way that other, serial interface, digitizers might be used
with the X server and Starbase libraries.  It involves quite a bit of
work.  You could write a program that reads data from the serial
digitizer and uses the data to mimic an HIL device file.  By using a pty
device, the program could respond to ioctl and read calls just as an HIL
device file would.  The pty device is documented in the PTY(7) section
of the "HP-UX Reference".

You would need to match the interface documented in the HIL(7) section
of the "HP-UX Reference" and in "Facilities for Series 200/300/500 HP-UX
Concepts and Tutorials" in the chapter "Using HP-HIL Devices with
HP-UX".  Another useful HP-HIL reference is "HP-HIL Technical Reference
Manual", product number 45918A.  The last is not shipped standard with
the HP-UX manual set, but is the best reference for understanding HP-HIL
devices.

Once you start your program running, the pty slave device file could be
linked to a path that the X server or Starbase library expects to be
an HIL tablet.  Then when the server is started it will work just as
if you had an E-size HIL tablet.

Mike Stroyan, stroyan@hpfcla.hp.com