[comp.sys.hp] xdm Non-Operational Under X11R4 and HPUX?

dgreen@squid.cs.ucla.edu (Dan R. Greening) (02/10/90)

Well, despite a few people saying "yes, you can compile X11R4 on HPUX 7.0",
including one HP employee, it appears that xdm dies under HPUX 7.0.  I
get the following error message:

  Error: Cannot perform realloc
  XIO:  fatal IO error 32 (Broken pipe) on X server ""
      after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
      The connection was probably broken by a server shutdown or KillClient.

xinit seems to work OK.

Anybody got any ideas?  I have applied all patches through fix-2.

Dan Greening       | NY 914-789-7861 | 12 Foster Court
dgreen@cs.ucla.edu | CA 213-825-2266 | Croton-on-Hudson, NY 10520

kriso@northstar5 (Kris Olander) (02/13/90)

In article <31747@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> dgreen@squid.cs.ucla.edu (Dan Greening) writes:
>Well, despite a few people saying "yes, you can compile X11R4 on HPUX 7.0",
>including one HP employee, it appears that xdm dies under HPUX 7.0.  I
>get the following error message:
>
>  Error: Cannot perform realloc
>  XIO:  fatal IO error 32 (Broken pipe) on X server ""
>      after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
>      The connection was probably broken by a server shutdown or KillClient.
>
>xinit seems to work OK.
>
>Anybody got any ideas?  I have applied all patches through fix-2.
>

>Dan Greening       | NY 914-789-7861 | 12 Foster Court
>dgreen@cs.ucla.edu | CA 213-825-2266 | Croton-on-Hudson, NY 10520

I've compiled X11R4 (with patched through fix-2) with very few
difficulties.   I wasn't able to startup X fresh from compiling until
I made /usr/bin/X a soft link to /usr/bin/Xhp, chmod 2755 on Xhp,xterm,
and xload, and finally, chgrp sys Xhp,xterm,xload.

The code was compiled and installed on our HP9000 340s.  I'm
extremely pleased with the server.  HP did a wonderful job
creating the hp.300.o server.  Keep up the good work.  I've had
quite a bit of experience with the IBM server for AOS (Xibm).  The
versions of Xibm that have been on the X11 tapes have been marginal.
The Xibm build for AOS on the R4 tape has so many disclamers stating
that AOS X11 isn't going to be supported anymore it's a wonder the
beast ever compiles.

I had xdm running on our 340s for about 3 weeks now.  No problems.

# Kris Olander ---- ---- arpa: kriso@northstar.dartmouth.edu #
# System Eng. Project NORTHSTAR                              #
# Thayer School of Eng., Dartmouth College                   #