[comp.sys.hp] If Sun Can Do It, Why Not HP?

dgreen@squid.cs.ucla.edu (Dan R. Greening) (02/10/90)

From a README on uunet.uu.net's anonymous FTP site:

----
We are experimenting with a new mechanism for the distribution of some
high-priority network bug fixes.  UUNET is a company that provides
connectivity to the Internet as well as through UUCP.  There is a
directory in ~ftp/sun-fixes on the machine uunet.UU.NET that currently
contains the following files:

-rw-r--r--  1 sunfixes vendor     484687 Dec 14  1988 ddn.tar.Z

And includes a large directory of patches.

Why not HP?

Dan Greening       | NY 914-789-7861 | 12 Foster Court
dgreen@cs.ucla.edu | CA 213-825-2266 | Croton-on-Hudson, NY 10520

garvey@cmic.UUCP (Joe Garvey) (02/12/90)

In article <31743@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU>, dgreen@squid.cs.ucla.edu (Dan R. Greening) writes:
> From a README on uunet.uu.net's anonymous FTP site:
>
> ----
> We are experimenting with a new mechanism for the distribution of some
> high-priority network bug fixes.  UUNET is a company that provides
> connectivity to the Internet as well as through UUCP.  There is a
> directory in ~ftp/sun-fixes on the machine uunet.UU.NET that currently
> contains the following files:
>
> -rw-r--r--  1 sunfixes vendor     484687 Dec 14  1988 ddn.tar.Z
>
> And includes a large directory of patches.
>
> Why not HP?
>
> Dan Greening       | NY 914-789-7861 | 12 Foster Court
> dgreen@cs.ucla.edu | CA 213-825-2266 | Croton-on-Hudson, NY 10520

A very good idea. I hope HP will pick up the gauntlet you have thrown down.
How about one the HP readers pulling these postings and mailing'm to the
HP-Desk types that can make this happen, since they don't get the news.

I'd also like to add the suggestion that HP put it's contributed software
there. Again, I feel uunet would be more than glad to help... but then
I can't speak for them. I would like to know if Sun pays for the privledge?
After all disk space is proportional to $$.

--

Joe Garvey                       UUCP: {apple,backbone}!versatc!mips!cmic!garvey
California Microwave             Internet: garvey%cmic@mips.com

jgautier@deimos.ADS.COM (Jorge Gautier) (02/13/90)

In article <31743@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> dgreen@squid.cs.ucla.edu () writes:

>Why not HP?

Because there is a better way.                         :-)

jack@hpindda.HP.COM (Jack Repenning) (02/14/90)

In comp.sys.hp, dgreen@squid.cs.ucla.edu (Dan R. Greening) writes:

> UUNET is a company that provides connectivity to the Internet as
> well as through UUCP.  There is a directory in ~ftp/sun-fixes on the
> machine uunet.UU.NET that currently contains the following files:

This is very interesting.  I'm nobody special in the company here, so
don't take my interest as any kind of official response, but I'd like
to hear more about what you (or anyone else, for that matter) knows
about this.

For instance, does this compay provide some kind of protection, so
that you can be sure that what you get out of this directory really
came from the vendor (or from some reliable, traceable source)?

Also, this seems to address a big part of the problem of making
patches widely and quickly available; what about the companion problem
of informing the afflicted parties that there is a problem and a
patch?

Jack Repenning - Information Networks Division,
		 Hewlett Packard Company
RFC-822:... jack@hptnjar.cup.hp.com
uucp:   ... !hplabs!hptnjar!jack
HPDesk: Jack REPENNING  /HP6600/UX
USMail: 43LN; 19420 Homestead Ave; Cupertino, CA  95014
Phone:  408/447-3380                     HPTelnet: 1-447-3380