[comp.sys.hp] Need routed

fmayhar@hermes.ladc.bull.com (Frank Mayhar) (02/09/90)

I have an HP 9000/300 that needs to be used as a gateway.  Unfortunately,
HPUX 6.5 doesn't come with a 'routed' daemon, which makes things kind of
painful.  So I need one.  Before I spend a lot of time porting the BSD 4.2
routed to HPUX, does someone already have it for System V (release 2 or 3)
or HPUX (6.5 or later)?

Thanks in advance!
--
Frank Mayhar  fmayhar@hermes.ladc.bull.com (..!{uunet,hacgate}!ladcgw!fmayhar)
              Bull HN Information Systems Inc.  Los Angeles Development Center

milburn@me10.lbl.gov (John Milburn) (02/09/90)

In article <1990Feb8.184343.16431@ladc.bull.com> fmayhar@hermes.ladc.bull.com (Frank Mayhar) writes:
>I have an HP 9000/300 that needs to be used as a gateway.  Unfortunately,
>HPUX 6.5 doesn't come with a 'routed' daemon, which makes things kind of
>painful.  So I need one.  ...

Why not upgrade to hpux 7.0. It comes standard with gated, which can
handle rip, hello, and egp. 7.0 also has full nameserver support.

-jem
John Milburn - Advanced Light Source - Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
INTERNET: JEMilburn@lbl.gov   BITNET:    JEMilburn@LBL.bitnet
UUCP:      {...}!ucbvax!lbl.gov!JEMilburn
SnailMail: 1 Cyclotron Road 46-161 Berkeley, Ca. 94720  Ph:  (415) 486-6969

fmayhar@hermes.ladc.bull.com (Frank Mayhar) (02/15/90)

In article <4817@helios.ee.lbl.gov>, milburn@me10.lbl.gov (John Milburn)
writes:
> In article <1990Feb8.184343.16431@ladc.bull.com>
fmayhar@hermes.ladc.bull.com (Frank Mayhar) writes:
> >I have an HP 9000/300 that needs to be used as a gateway.  Unfortunately,
> >HPUX 6.5 doesn't come with a 'routed' daemon, which makes things kind of
> >painful.  So I need one.  ...
>
> Why not upgrade to hpux 7.0. It comes standard with gated, which can
> handle rip, hello, and egp. 7.0 also has full nameserver support.
>
> -jem

Well, that's what a lot of people have said.  Unfortunately, I can't,
because there
are some applications that we need, that don't yet run under 7.0.  When
they do,
we'll upgrade.  In the meantime, I appear to have successfully hacked
the BSD routed
into a form that runs under HPUX.  If anyone is interested in it, let me know.