[comp.sys.hp] INTEREX's hp9000/825 now on Internet!

gentry@kcdev.UUCP (Art Gentry) (02/12/90)

Interex, The International Hewlett Packard Users Group, now has a system
on the internet.  E-mail may be sent directly to Interex by addressing
as {last name}@interex.

Attached is the current map entry for your use, untill the usa.ca.n updates
get around.

#N	interex
#S	HP9000/825 HP-UX 7.0
#O	INTEREX The HP International Users Group
#C	R. Arthur Gentry
#E	gentry@genco gentry@interex
#T	+1 816 637 2443
#P	585 Maude Ct, Sunnyvale, CA. 94088
#L	39 6 N / 94 35 W
#R	this system is remotely administered from Kansas City, MO.
#U	daver genco kcdev
#W	gentry@interex (R. Arthur Gentry); Sun Feb 11 15:40:18 CST 1990
#
interex = interex.UUCP
interex	genco(DEMAND), kcdev(DEMAND), daver(DIRECT),

--
| R. Arthur Gentry     AT&T Communications     Kansas City, MO     64106 |
| Email: gentry@kcdev               ATTMail: attmail!kc4rtm!gentry       |

milburn@me10.lbl.gov (John Milburn) (02/13/90)

In article <1048@kcdev.UUCP> gentry@kcdev.UUCP (Art Gentry) writes:
>Interex, The International Hewlett Packard Users Group, now has a system
>on the internet.  E-mail may be sent directly to Interex by addressing
>as {last name}@interex.

If it is on the Internet, it must have a domain style address. I can't
find an MX or A record for either interex.org or interex.com. Does
anyone know what the address is?

-jem
John Milburn - Advanced Light Source - Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
INTERNET: JEMilburn@lbl.gov   BITNET:    JEMilburn@LBL.bitnet
UUCP:      {...}!ucbvax!lbl.gov!JEMilburn
SnailMail: 1 Cyclotron Road 46-161 Berkeley, Ca. 94720  Ph:  (415) 486-6969

gentry@kcdev.UUCP (Art Gentry) (02/15/90)

In article <4835@helios.ee.lbl.gov> JEMilburn@lbl.gov (John Milburn) writes:
>In article <1048@kcdev.UUCP> gentry@kcdev.UUCP (Art Gentry) writes:
>>Interex, The International Hewlett Packard Users Group, now has a system
>>on the internet.  E-mail may be sent directly to Interex by addressing
>>as {last name}@interex.
>
>If it is on the Internet, it must have a domain style address. I can't
>find an MX or A record for either interex.org or interex.com. Does
>anyone know what the address is?

Interex's "domain" is .uucp.  We haven't linked up with an "official"
domain yet.  Have been trying to get HP to let us join thiers, but they
are correctly reluctant.  We are not a server, so .com is not really
appropriate.  Wasn't aware of a .org domain, who is the domain coordinator?

| R. Arthur Gentry Interex:THE International Hewlett Packard Users Group |
| Email: gentry@kcdev               ATTMail: attmail!kc4rtm!gentry       |
|        gentry@interex  -or- uunet!daver!interex!gentry                 |
| $include {std_disclaimer.h}       "I will make a quess" - Spock - STIV |

cricket@hp-ses.SDE.HP.COM (Jiminy Cricket) (02/16/90)

    >If it is on the Internet, it must have a domain style address. I can't
    >find an MX or A record for either interex.org or interex.com. Does
    >anyone know what the address is?

    Interex's "domain" is .uucp.  We haven't linked up with an "official"
    domain yet.  Have been trying to get HP to let us join thiers, but they
    are correctly reluctant.  We are not a server, so .com is not really
    appropriate.  Wasn't aware of a .org domain, who is the domain
    coordinator?

Hiya, Art!

To get a subdomain under "org", talk to hostmaster@nic.ddn.mil.

cricket

wunder@hp-ses.SDE.HP.COM (Walter Underwood) (02/16/90)

   Interex's "domain" is .uucp.  We haven't linked up with an "official"
   domain yet.  Have been trying to get HP to let us join thiers, but they
   are correctly reluctant.

Putting Interex in .hp.com might threaten the non-profit status of the
user group.  User groups must maintain an arms-length relationship
with the vendor, or the IRS decides that they are part of the vendor's
marketing and support.

So, it is really best if Interex has its own domain.

wunder

milburn@me10.lbl.gov (John Milburn) (02/16/90)

In article <1055@kcdev.UUCP> gentry@kcdev. (Art Gentry) writes:

>Interex's "domain" is .uucp.  We haven't linked up with an "official"
>domain yet.  Have been trying to get HP to let us join thiers, but they
>are correctly reluctant.  We are not a server, so .com is not really
>appropriate.  Wasn't aware of a .org domain, who is the domain coordinator?

Most top level domains are administered by the Network Information Center
(NIC). You may request more information by contacting:

HOSTMASTER@NIC.DDN.MIL
(800) 235-3155 or (415) 859-3695

-jem
JEMilburn@lbl.gov  ...!ucbvax!lbl.gov!JEMilburn