[comp.sys.hp] TELNET and net use...

burzio@mmlai.UUCP (Tony Burzio) (02/16/90)

If you use telnet to connect to the same machine, does the
traffic actually go out onto the network, or is it turned
around internally?

P.S>  Two of my three software vendors are now having problems
with HP legal, preventing software release.  Sigh.  Where's
my Sun catalogue...

Tony Burzio               * Yea, verily...
Martin Marietta Labs      *
mmlai!burzio@uunet.uu.net *

human@hpindda.HP.COM (Aaron Schuman) (02/21/90)

Tony Burzio>	If you use telnet to connect to the same machine, does the
Tony Burzio>	traffic actually go out onto the network, or is it turned
Tony Burzio>	around internally?

It is turned around internally by a loopback driver.

Tony Burzio>	P.S>  Two of my three software vendors are now having problems
Tony Burzio>	with HP legal, preventing software release.  Sigh.  Where's
Tony Burzio>	my Sun catalogue...

I appreciate your frustration.  HP legal doesn't read notes, though.
All you'll get from us is sympathy.

raveling@isi.edu (Paul Raveling) (02/21/90)

In article <679@mmlai.UUCP>, burzio@mmlai.UUCP (Tony Burzio) writes:

> If you use telnet to connect to the same machine, does the
> traffic actually go out onto the network, or is it turned
> around internally?

	That seems like a curious sort of thing to do.
	Why would you use telnet to connect to "self"?

> P.S>  Two of my three software vendors are now having problems
> with HP legal, preventing software release.  Sigh.  Where's
> my Sun catalogue...

	At least Sun isn't the only one these days whose catalog
	lists "available" software that isn't here yet.  My impressions
	in our shop still are that Suns have earlier 3rd party software
	delivery while HP's have better quality & reliablility.

	If you want to reach for a non-HP catalog it might be worth
	checking out DEC's.  On questions of business integrity
	I think both DEC and HP are good, but Sun looks shaky.
	Besides, a DECstation 3100 is beats a SPARCstation's
	performance easily.

Paul Raveling
Raveling@isi.edu