[comp.sys.hp] Root permission on NFS

paul@mecazh.UUCP (Paul Breslaw) (02/16/90)

Could someone kindly mail me those few instructions needed to give
root super-user privileges on NFS mounted file systems.

I know it is something to do with a symbol called 'nobody' in the kernel,
but have forgotten the details.

We have HP-UX 7.0 on 9000/3xx.

Many thanks

Paul Breslaw

--
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Paul Breslaw, Mecasoft SA,          |  telephone :  41 1 362 2040

johnb@hpubvwa.HP.COM (John Blommers) (02/17/90)

This has to do with using adb to edit the unix kernel and change
the value of nobody from -2 to zero.

This is not the brightest thing to do to your servers, you know,
since any root user on any client can now accidentally do a dread
rm * on some part of the server file system, buying you big
headaches.

burzio@mmlai.UUCP (Tony Burzio) (02/19/90)

In article <11590023@hpubvwa.HP.COM>, johnb@hpubvwa.HP.COM (John Blommers) writes:
> This is not the brightest thing to do to your servers, you know,
> since any root user on any client can now accidentally do a dread
> rm * on some part of the server file system, buying you big
> headaches.

How then do you back up a remote machine?  The REALLY bright thing
to do is to provide rdump with HP-UX.  I know, I know, it's in V7,
but I truly don't believe that V7 actually exists, just the manuals
are shipped to bewilder the innocent :-)  I got my first V8 release
announcement from HP on Friday :-)

By the way, I was wandering around an SG machine the other day, kicking
the tires and such, and it looks like they can allow root access from a
particular machine, instead of the blanket access of the kernel patch.
Is this something that HP will provide, say in a future (sigh) release?

Tony Burzio               * Stumbling blindly into the future...
Martin Marietta Labs      *
mmlai!burzio@uunet.uu.net *

tomg@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Thomas J. Gilg) (02/21/90)

> By the way, I was wandering around an SG machine the other day, kicking
> the tires and such, and it looks like they can allow root access from a
> particular machine, instead of the blanket access of the kernel patch.
> Is this something that HP will provide, say in a future (sigh) release?

You might want to look into /etc/hosts.equiv   Based on another posting of
your's later on, it sounds like you are trying to create _one_ super cluster
that is really made up of two clusters.

Hope this helps,

Thomas Gilg
tomg@cv.hp.com

icsu6000@caesar (Jaye Mathisen) (02/22/90)

> By the way, I was wandering around an SG machine the other day, kicking
> the tires and such, and it looks like they can allow root access from a
> particular machine, instead of the blanket access of the kernel patch.
> Is this something that HP will provide, say in a future (sigh) release?

I hope so...  Even DEC has this "feature" and it suprises/annoys me that
HP doesn't.  It sure is useful, even if it makes the machine a little
less "secure", I feel better knowing which nodes will screw it up via
the root user mapping to 0 or nobody.

C'mon HP! :-)
| Jaye Mathisen,systems manager       Internet: icsu6000@caesar.cs.montana.edu|
| 410 Roberts Hall                      BITNET: icsu6000@mtsunix1.bitnet      |
| Dept. of Computer Science	                                              |