[comp.sys.hp] adjtime

hans@inmic.se (Hans Berggren) (02/17/90)

Does anyone know if there is anything like adjtime() available
in HP-UX? I havn't seen anything in the manuals.
Adjtime is used to correct the time and allowing synchronization
of systems clocks in a network by speeding up or slowing down the
system's clock.

What I want is a way to install ntp (Network Time Protocol)
or timed in our HP s300 and s800 machines. We have a network
with several machines from different vendors, using NFS to
share resources. The problem is clock skewness between the
systems.

HP must have thought of synchronizing clocks in a network, and
not just in a cluster. How does the system synchronize clocks
between server and clients in a cluster, anyway? Perhaps one
can use that concept?

--

Hans Berggren
Swedish Institute of Microelectronics, IM

tai@aspen.IAG.HP.COM (Tai Jin) (02/21/90)

/ aspen:comp.sys.hp / hans@inmic.se (Hans Berggren) /  8:01 am  Feb 16, 1990 /
Does anyone know if there is anything like adjtime() available
in HP-UX? I havn't seen anything in the manuals.
Adjtime is used to correct the time and allowing synchronization
of systems clocks in a network by speeding up or slowing down the
system's clock.
----------

You can anonymously ftp from columbia.edu hp/ntp.tar.Z.  The tar file
contains the ntp (version 1) source as ported to HP-UX and an adjtime
emulator source.

The xntp HP-UX port will be available as soon as it is stable.

...tai

raveling@isi.edu (Paul Raveling) (02/21/90)

In article <HANS.90Feb16170114@had.inmic.se>, hans@inmic.se (Hans
Berggren) writes:
> Does anyone know if there is anything like adjtime() available
> in HP-UX?...
> What I want is a way to install ntp (Network Time Protocol)
> or timed in our HP s300 and s800 machines. We have a network
> with several machines from different vendors, using NFS to
> share resources. The problem is clock skewness between the
> systems.

	I had no trouble making ntp on a 9000/300.  Occasionally I
	use it to resynchronize my clock to WWVB time within a modest
	number of milliseconds.  The daemon (timed) didn't compile,
	I believe because of BSDisms.

	Are there others who'd like to use ntp & timed on HP's?
	If enough popular demand exists I can probably justify
	using some of my own time to finish the port.

----------------
Paul Raveling
Raveling@isi.edu

tml@hemuli.tik.vtt.fi (Tor Lillqvist) (02/22/90)

In article <11955@venera.UUCP> raveling@isi.edu (Paul Raveling) writes:
>In article <HANS.90Feb16170114@had.inmic.se>, hans@inmic.se (Hans
>Berggren) writes:
>> Does anyone know if there is anything like adjtime() available
>> in HP-UX?...

>	I had no trouble making ntp on a 9000/300.  Occasionally I

>	Are there others who'd like to use ntp & timed on HP's?
>	If enough popular demand exists I can probably justify
>	using some of my own time to finish the port.

Ntp (including the daemon, ntpd) has already been ported to HP-UX.  I
got it with ftp from an .hp.com site last year.  It included an
implementation for both the s300 and s800.  I have been using it since
that, and it works great.

This port uses a separate process, adjtimed, that emulates the adjtime
system call by poking in the running kernel.  Ntpd sends requests to
this process.
--
Tor Lillqvist,
working, but not speaking, for the Technical Research Centre of Finland