[comp.sys.hp] X11R4 and names

gdykes@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Gene Dykes) (02/23/90)

We have some interesting problems here, all of which may be related.
Any hints would be much appreciated.

	R4 xload doesn't work.  Complains that it can't read from /hp-ux.

	xtalk doesn't work.  Says it doesn't know who you are.

	"who" and "whoami" work.  "who am i" doesn't.

Other than this, X11R4 seems to work pretty well.
Thanks!

--
Gene Dykes, gdykes@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu

crouch@crunchie.axion.bt.co.uk (Chris Rouch) (02/24/90)

In article <9781@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>,
gdykes@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Gene Dykes) writes:
> We have some interesting problems here, all of which may be related.
> Any hints would be much appreciated.
>
> 	R4 xload doesn't work.  Complains that it can't read from /hp-ux.

Have you got xload running setuid root?

> 	xtalk doesn't work.  Says it doesn't know who you are.
>
> 	"who" and "whoami" work.  "who am i" doesn't.

It sounds like you're running xdm, which by default doesn't write to
/etc/utmp, to tell the machine you've logged on. There is a way of doing
this from within your /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xstartup (I think) file, but I
don't know the exact mechanism. If anyone does I'd be interested in
finding out.

Chris
Chris Rouch                                             crouch@axion.bt.co.uk
RT3141, BTRL, Martlesham Heath, Ipswich, England.              +44 473 646093

unspoilt by progress