[comp.sys.hp] does 7.0 exists?

wayne@dsndata.uucp (Wayne Schlitt) (02/20/90)

In article <680@mmlai.UUCP> burzio@mmlai.UUCP (Tony Burzio) writes:

> [ ... ]                                I know, I know, it's in V7,
> but I truly don't believe that V7 actually exists, just the manuals
> are shipped to bewilder the innocent :-)

naw, i _know_ that version 7.0 exists.  some of our customers have it
and then wanted to know if they should install it.  we had to tell
them no 'cause we have no idea what, if any, problems our software
will have on the new release.  *sigh*.  you would think that software
developers could get the releases first...

-wayne

burzio@mmlai.UUCP (Tony Burzio) (02/21/90)

In article <WAYNE.90Feb19124127@dsndata.uucp>, wayne@dsndata.uucp (Wayne Schlitt) writes:
> In article <680@mmlai.UUCP> burzio@mmlai.UUCP (Tony Burzio) writes:
> > but I truly don't believe that V7 actually exists, just the manuals
>
> and then wanted to know if they should install it.  we had to tell
> them no 'cause we have no idea what, if any, problems our software
> will have on the new release.  *sigh*.  you would think that software
> developers could get the releases first...

From past experiences, I expected that V7 would not break any 3rd party
software, but this seems to be incorrect this time.  My sales rep and
local SE are comming by today to discuss the update (sounds
ominous). I DO know that LISP doesn't work under V7 on the 300s (of
course, from the number of bug reports that our local LISP hacker has
put in recently, I expect the problem is that LISP didn't work so well
to begin with :-)

Tony Burzio               * Wunnerful, wunnerful...
Martin Marietta Labs      *
mmlai!burzio@uunet.uu.net *

rob@innovus.UUCP (Rob Sciuk) (02/22/90)

In article <WAYNE.90Feb19124127@dsndata.uucp> wayne@dsndata.uucp (Wayne Schlitt) writes:
>In article <680@mmlai.UUCP> burzio@mmlai.UUCP (Tony Burzio) writes:
>>
>> [ ... ]                                I know, I know, it's in V7,
>> but I truly don't believe that V7 actually exists, just the manuals
>> are shipped to bewilder the innocent :-)
>>

>naw, i _know_ that version 7.0 exists.  some of our customers have it
>and then wanted to know if they should install it.  we had to tell
>them no 'cause we have no idea what, if any, problems our software
>will have on the new release.  *sigh*.  you would think that software
>developers could get the releases first...
>

>-wayne

	HP Version 7.0 is real ... the issues that I would like to raise
	are as follows ( please accept them in the spirit of trying to
	ease the pain of future releases):

	1.)	Why can't software for HP-UX be pre-configured on ONE tape
		for each customer with ALL desirable subsystems included
		(see MPE distribution).  In this day and age, there is no
		reason why a dbms cannot reduce the task to a very simple
		and presumeably MUCH $$CHEAPER$$ one for all of us.

	2.)	When issuing documentation ... 1 SET OF MANUALS per SPU should
		be sufficient ... PE documentation includes additional bricks,
		manual supplements etc etc.  This might be nice up to a point,
		but we are swimming in literature which is extremely difficult
		to maintain in an up-to-date fashion as it is.  The resources
		currently spent on redundant information could be better spent
		on:

		- including a binder with EACH manual.
		- forget the updates ... send out the complete manual, albeit
		  fewer of them  ... (no duplicates).

	3.)	Why can't we get ALL of the materials at once?  I was recently
		informed that the flow of materials for Version 7.0 can be
		expected to last approximately 90 days.  Couple this with the
		multiple 9000 environment here at our site, and the ablity to
		keep track of what we have, and more to the point what we DON'T
		have, is lost.

	4.)	As a software developer, we have ordered the part number of
		OS and SUBSYS materials support which should provide us with
		early shipment(?) of the OP/SYS.  I applaud the intent, but
		so far, this appears to be a placebo (either that, or the
		pedestrian customer base won't be updated for months yet!).

	5.)	Why no 6250 BPI 9 Track Media support for the 300's yet?

	6.)	We are paying for SMS support for a 32 user AXE on our 800,
		and to date, I have received 2, 16 user tapes (the second
		one was sent in answer to my query about the first ... thanks
		guys, I'll use the tape in my backup sets) ... but where is my
		32 user AXE!

	It seems that none of these issues are really that difficult to
	fix.  The argument that is too expensive to create a customized
	tape for each customer flies out the window in light of the amount of
	media, redundant printed materials, and the cost of landing this stuff
	with our diligent Canadian Customs officials etc. etc. is factored in.

	In addition, the amount of additional effort required by my staff is
	unbelievable.  I feel the impact on the system administrator can be
	reduced substantially, and the gains in the resulting end-user
	satisfaction  would far out weigh the costs of stream-lining  this
	CRITICAL aspect of support.

	These issues are primarily related to the distribution aspects of the
	operating systems.  Overall, the quality of the releases is VERY good.
	I think the overt message is TRIM UP before you SHIP OUT! :-}

	Sorry to take up so much band-width, it seems I have rambled on ...
	HP distribution types, please feel free to call should you decide
	to heed a poor beleagured administrator, I'd be happy to discuss at
	ad nauseam how, IMHO, things may be improved.

rss.
--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Rob Sciuk	utzoo!yunexus!maccs!innovus!rob	or rob@innovus

rjn@hpfcso.HP.COM (Bob Niland) (02/24/90)

re: rob@innovus.UUCP (Rob Sciuk) writes...

> HP Version 7.0 is real ... the issues that I would like to raise

> 1.)   Why can't software for HP-UX be pre-configured on ONE tape
>       for each customer with ALL desirable subsystems included

Under investigation for 8.0 (install).  I had thought that we were supposed
to get customized update at 7.0, but evidently not.  In any case, when we
get CD-ROM distribution, all-in-one will be standard.

> 5.)     Why no 6250 BPI 9 Track Media support for the 300's yet?

Series 300 boot ROM doesn't know how to boot from 9-track.  Ergo, no
install is possible.   Also, less than 2% of systems presently have the
relatively expensive 7978A/B and 7980A/XC drives.

The current plan for next-generation media is:
  CD-ROM      - at 8.0 unless insurmountable problems arise.
  DDS (R-DAT) - under agressive investigation, but not yet committed.
		Format would be either custom-built or all-in-one.

> In addition, the amount of additional effort required by my staff is
> unbelievable.

We are sensitive to that, and I will forward your comments to the
appropriate parties.

Regards,                                              Hewlett-Packard
Bob Niland                                            3404 East Harmony Road
rjn%hpfcrjn@hplabs.HP.COM                             Fort Collins
UUCP: [hplabs|hpu*!hpfcse]!hpfcla!rjn                 CO          80525-9599

This response does not represent the official position of, or statement by,
the Hewlett-Packard Company.  The above data is provided for informational
purposes only.  It is supplied without warranty of any kind.