[comp.sys.hp] HP 9121 disk drives aren't working on HP 150s running MS-DOS 3.2

barbour@boulder.Colorado.EDU (BARBOUR JIM) (02/20/90)

We have a lab of HP 150s used to teach MicroComputer architecture.
The lab is currently runing MS-DOS 3.1.

Recently, we tried to upgrade the lab to MS-DOS 3.2 and found a problem.
MS-DOS 3.2 was unable to detect when we switched disks in our
HP 9121 floppy disk drives.  This led to corrupted FATs and data blocks.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem?  We would very
much like to upgrade to MS-DOS 3.2 because -- so we are told -- we could then
write 3.5' floppies which would be compatable with the rest of the PC world.

Thanks,

Jim Barbour (jwbarbour@clipr.Colorado.EDU)

nyenhuis@pur-ee.UUCP (John Nyenhuis) (02/26/90)

In article <17171@boulder.Colorado.EDU> barbour@snoopy.Colorado.EDU (BARBOUR JIM) writes:
>We have a lab of HP 150s used to teach MicroComputer architecture.
>The lab is currently runing MS-DOS 3.1.
>
>Recently, we tried to upgrade the lab to MS-DOS 3.2 and found a problem.
>MS-DOS 3.2 was unable to detect when we switched disks in our
>HP 9121 floppy disk drives.  This led to corrupted FATs and data blocks.
>
>Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem?  We would very
>much like to upgrade to MS-DOS 3.2 because -- so we are told -- we could then
>write 3.5' floppies which would be compatable with the rest of the PC world.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jim Barbour (jwbarbour@clipr.Colorado.EDU)

   I too have encountered problems when switching disks under DOS
3.2. I think the problem just occurred with the 9121D disc
drive. I am currently using a 9122D double sided drive and
that seems to work ok.

With DOS 3.2 it is possible to do an IBM format on the 9122,
which is a double sided drive. Information written to this disc with the
HP 150 can then be read on an the 3 1/2" disc drive on an IBM
compatable computer. With the 9121 single sided drive, the situation
is more complex. It is of course impossible to read a double
sided disc with this drive. A bit of good news is that it is possible
to read and write the single side discs on an IBM pc/clone, provided
that one has the proper device driver. A while back I took
a RAM disc device driver form PC magazine and modified it to
read and write single sided HP 150 discs in out PS/2 30 (8086).
In this driver, I used the IBM Bios to read and write sectors.
The only place I encountered a problem was in loading program
files. The easy workaround is to copy program files from the
HP 150 singled sided disc to the PC and then run it.

The device driver is free (it's probably illegal to sell it
since so much of the code came from PC magazine). If
anyone is interested, let me know.

Good luck.

John

John Nyenhuis   Purdue University  School of Electrical Engineering
West Lafayette IN 47907   (317)494-3524     nyenhuis@ee.ecn.purdue.edu