[comp.sys.hp] HPUX 7.0 and net sources

garvey@cmic.UUCP (Joe Garvey) (03/01/90)

I'm curious - has any tried recompiling the Bnews, elm, rn, perl, etc with
HPUX 7.0's ANSI C-compiler. Any problems that you had because it's an
ANSI C compiler? Yes, I've seen postings the you can only do +O1 optimization
still. Maybe the next release will see the optimizer truly working.

Does the factory try compiling netware? I know a bunch of Bnews problems
went away when I recompiled with +O1 instead of -O (under HPUX 6.5). It
seems like major pieces of netware (like I mentioned above) do a good job of
breaking compilers... and then there's gnu...

--

Joe Garvey                       UUCP: {apple,backbone}!versatc!mips!cmic!garvey
California Microwave             Internet: garvey%cmic@mips.com

milburn@me10.lbl.gov (John Milburn) (03/02/90)

In article <249@cmic.UUCP> garvey%cmic@mips.com writes:
>I'm curious - has any tried recompiling the Bnews, elm, rn, perl, etc with
>HPUX 7.0's ANSI C-compiler. Any problems that you had because it's an

A version of elm is included with 7.0, so we didn't bother trying
to compile the netware. I don't know about Bnews.

rn and perl both go fairly smoothly.  perl (version 3, patchlevel 8)
contains a couple of files (eval.c and toke.c, I think) which give the
global optimizer fits (you need about 100 MB of swap and many cpu
hours if you REALLY want to optimize) and I compiled those files with +O1.

-jem
JEMilburn@lbl.gov  ...!ucbvax!lbl.gov!JEMilburn

shankar@hpclscu.HP.COM (Shankar Unni) (03/03/90)

> I'm curious - has any tried recompiling the Bnews, elm, rn, perl, etc with
> HPUX 7.0's ANSI C-compiler. Any problems that you had because it's an
> ANSI C compiler? Yes, I've seen postings the you can only do +O1 optimization
> still. Maybe the next release will see the optimizer truly working.

Only the series 800 has an ANSI C compiler for 7.0, and even that has to be
selected by a compile-time switch (-Aa). By default, it continues to
compile in K&R mode.

The optimization problems were in the series 300 compiler, whose optimizer
has been vastly improved for 7.0. You should be giving -O a try.

> Does the factory try compiling netware? I know a bunch of Bnews problems
> went away when I recompiled with +O1 instead of -O (under HPUX 6.5). It
> seems like major pieces of netware (like I mentioned above) do a good job of
> breaking compilers... and then there's gnu...

Yes, the factory *does* compile netware these days, especially Gnu stuff.
-----
Shankar Unni                                   E-Mail:
Hewlett-Packard California Language Lab.     Internet: shankar@hpda.hp.com
Phone : (408) 447-5797                           UUCP: ...!hplabs!hpda!shankar

DISCLAIMER:
This response does not represent the official position of, or statement by,
the Hewlett-Packard Company.  The above data is provided for informational
purposes only.  It is supplied without warranty of any kind.