[comp.sys.hp] How do you do UUCP over the Ethernet with HP-UX 6.5?

wehr@fmeed1.UUCP (Bruce Wehr) (02/23/90)

We just recently got on Ford Motor Company's Dearborn Campus Ethernet -
this allows us to do telnet/ftp/etc...  with other Ford hosts.  I can
telnet to our VAX (running Wollongongs TCP/IP package) and to Masscomps,
Fortunes, PC Clones, etc ...

One box I do uucp mail with over a Sytek LAN (9600 baud).  I can now
telnet to this box.  The sysadm of this box has ported a uucp server to
his box on port 540 (like the telnet server, is runs a login/passwd
clone to verify identity, but it then execs a uucico instead of a
shell).  I would like to do uucp with him over the net.

He's not familiar with HP-UX (we're running 6.5 on a 370).  He thought
that I'd only have to do a few things:

	1) Put in a Systems entry that had TCP or NET as the device type

	2) Make sure his system name and Internet address appear in
	   /etc/hosts

I have done these things, and get 'requested device not found' messages
from uucico.  He can't give me any more ideas.

So, how *does* one do uucp over the Ethernet with HP-UX 6.5?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
--
	       Bruce Wehr (wehr%dptc.decnet@srlvx0.srl.ford.com)
    (...!mailrus!sharkey!fmeed1!wehr) (wehr%fmeed1.uucp@mailgw.cc.umich.edu)

rdg@hpfcmgw.HP.COM (Rob Gardner) (02/24/90)

> One box I do uucp mail with over a Sytek LAN (9600 baud).  I can now
> telnet to this box.  The sysadm of this box has ported a uucp server to
> his box on port 540 (like the telnet server, is runs a login/passwd
> clone to verify identity, but it then execs a uucico instead of a
> shell).  I would like to do uucp with him over the net.

Sorry, you can't do that. HP does not support ethernet connections with
uucp. We do have a facility called vt-uucp which will let you talk uucp
with another HP machine over a lan.

However, I have a program that *might* work for you. Yes, it's another
pty kludge, I'm afraid...

Rob

markb@hpunmia.HP.COM (Mark Barowicz) (02/27/90)

Although I have never done it there is a description of how-to in the
HP-UX Concepts and Tutorials: Shells and Miscellaneous Tools ,
HP part # 97089-90062. Refer to the section on Vt.

Basically it describes the care and feeding of vt and vtdeamon and
associated uucp configuration files to allow the user to perform uucp
over a LAN. I'm not sure if this will allow you access to non HP systems
but it should be a step in the right direction.

Mark Barowicz
Hewlett Packard
Novi Customer Escalation Center

This response does not represent the official position of, or statement by,
the Hewlett-Packard Company.  The above data is provided for informational
purposes only.  It is supplied without warranty of any kind.

rdg@hpfcmgw.HP.COM (Rob Gardner) (03/01/90)

> Although I have never done it there is a description of how-to in the
> HP-UX Concepts and Tutorials: Shells and Miscellaneous Tools ,
> HP part # 97089-90062. Refer to the section on Vt.
>
> Basically it describes the care and feeding of vt and vtdeamon and
> associated uucp configuration files to allow the user to perform uucp
> over a LAN. I'm not sure if this will allow you access to non HP systems
> but it should be a step in the right direction.

The vt/uucp stuff only works between HP machines.

Rob

wehr@fmeed1.UUCP (Bruce Wehr) (03/02/90)

In article <1080130@hpfcmgw.HP.COM>, rdg@hpfcmgw.HP.COM (Rob Gardner) writes:

> > Although I have never done it there is a description of how-to in the
> > HP-UX Concepts and Tutorials: Shells and Miscellaneous Tools ,
> > HP part # 97089-90062. Refer to the section on Vt.
>
> The vt/uucp stuff only works between HP machines.
>
> Rob

It definitely makes interesting reading - I *do* have some HP machines
I'd like to do this with.  However, my Concepts manual talks about
setting this up in terms of old-style UUCP (L-vtdevices, L-devices,
L.sys - needless to say, it doesn't work).  So, 2 questions:

	1) Does anyone know how to set this up to HP machines using HDB
	   UUCP?

	2) Are there any plans to support this to non-HP machines in the
	   future?

Thanks to all who've helped so far.

--

rdg@hpfcmgw.HP.COM (Rob Gardner) (03/06/90)

> > The vt/uucp stuff only works between HP machines.
>
> It definitely makes interesting reading - I *do* have some HP machines
> I'd like to do this with.  However, my Concepts manual talks about
> setting this up in terms of old-style UUCP (L-vtdevices, L-devices,
> L.sys - needless to say, it doesn't work).  So, 2 questions:
>
> 	1) Does anyone know how to set this up to HP machines using HDB
> 	   UUCP?

Naturally, substitute "Devices" for "L-Devices", and "Systems" for "L.sys",
etc. I don't know if it really works with HDB since I have never tried
it myself.

> 	2) Are there any plans to support this to non-HP machines in the
> 	   future?

Without risk of revealing any secret HP plans, I think I can state
emphatically that the facility known as "vt-uucp" will never, never,
ever work with non-hp machines. This is because "vt" is a proprietary
service, and will never appear on other vendor's machines.

This is not to say that it won't be possible for use uucp over lan-
that's just a small matter of programming.

Rob