[comp.sys.hp] HP-UX 7.0 experience

uccjcm@uncecs.edu (John McLendon) (03/01/90)

In article <681@mmlai.UUCP> burzio@mmlai.UUCP (Tony Burzio) writes:
>In article <WAYNE.90Feb19124127@dsndata.uucp>, wayne@dsndata.uucp (Wayne Schlitt) writes:
>> In article <680@mmlai.UUCP> burzio@mmlai.UUCP (Tony Burzio) writes:
>> > but I truly don't believe that V7 actually exists, just the manuals
>>
>> and then wanted to know if they should install it.  we had to tell
>> them no 'cause we have no idea what, if any, problems our software
>> will have on the new release.  *sigh*.  you would think that software
>> developers could get the releases first...
>
>From past experiences, I expected that V7 would not break any 3rd party
>software, but this seems to be incorrect this time.  My sales rep and
>local SE are comming by today to discuss the update (sounds
>ominous). I DO know that LISP doesn't work under V7 on the 300s (of
>course, from the number of bug reports that our local LISP hacker has
>put in recently, I expect the problem is that LISP didn't work so well
>to begin with :-)

Well....
We installed it a week ago, on a third party SCSI disk (first
time I've tried this!!!). Everything pretty much seems to work ok.
The ANSI-C compiler is NOT included yet. The response center said
to wait a month or so. We actually got uucp up and running in two
days or so... Not too bad for a coupla virgins. We also
managed to completely fake out the lp spooler and hang the laserjet
off a cnode; no way to do this with the trailblazer. I'll be glad to
publish our hack if there's enough interest... We're actually using
the spooler directly! Motif is just like the 1.0 OSF distribution
as far as I can tell except that the mwm cursors (hourglasss, etc..)
are twice as big. Also, the mwm.h and MwmUtil.h includes are missing.
The HP widget set doesn't want to handle cascades properly with mwm,
but the hpwm included works just fine. I was able to bring up
our old X11R2 application using the HP widget set by using
a -lXtR2 compile option to cc and a -I/usr/include/XtR2
to get the old Core.h and stuff. The X windows performance is
definitely better.  We do get whines from the compiler about
SIGCLD being redefined when including <sys/signal.h>, but to no
effect. Mkmf complains vociferously about not finding things
of the form ../h/xxxx.h on those same <sys/xxxx.h> includes.
We also get complaints from ld of the form "Possible
floating point incompatibility, recompile with +O1 option."
Anyone know what this is about? We're running plain-jane 360/370's
using the cc -g option.  There's a scsi tape driver included
in /usr/lib/drivers. Does anyone know if it works?

All-in-all, I'm pleased with the better X performance.
Things are running pretty smoothly. No crash and burns yet.
I've got five cnodes on a single server (I know, i know).
Of course, we don't use third party stuff, we write third party stuff.
Obviously, I'm going for it.  I expect the whines about includes
to go away once I learn the incantation from the as yet
unreceived PE manual set.

			Hope this helps...
			John
--
Signed: John McLendon          uunet\ - or - uunet!wgate.UUCP!jcm
        (919) 846-7931 (home)        >mcnc!ecsvax.uncecs.edu!uccjcm

fkittred@bbn.com (Fletcher Kittredge) (03/01/90)

In article <1990Mar1.005350.5060@uncecs.edu> uccjcm@uncecs.edu (John McLendon) writes:
>The ANSI-C compiler is NOT included yet. The response center said
>to wait a month or so. We actually got uucp up and running in two

Are you sure this is the case?  We got 7.0 months ago and it had the
ANSI C compiler.  Remember, the default behavior is not to use ANSI C,
you have to run the compiler with the -Aa switch.

regards,
fletcher
Fletcher E. Kittredge  fkittred@bbn.com

mjs@hpfcso.HP.COM (Marc Sabatella) (03/02/90)

>We also get complaints from ld of the form "Possible
>floating point incompatibility, recompile with +O1 option."
>Anyone know what this is about? We're running plain-jane 360/370's
>using the cc -g option.

What happened was that the floating point register save/restore conventions
changed between 6.2 and 6.5, to satisfy the global optimizer.  We put a
mark in each object file to say if it uses the old or new conventions; most
importantly, we put a mark on those new files which not only support the new
conventions, but depend on routines that it calls to support them as well.
If the linker sees one of the latter object files, and one that was compiled
pre-6.5, it complains, since it is possible a routine in the new object file
may call a routine in the old object file (directly or indirectly) and thus
be messed up since the old routine didn't save/restore the necessary registers.

Since you say you are compiling things "-g", that implies not "-O", so you
don't have any of the code that requires other modules to use the new
conventions.  Similarly, since you are recompiling under 7.0, you don't have
any of the code that uses the old conventions.  Thus it must be some libraries
you are using.

The easiest way to tell what is going on is to pass "-v" to the linker (via
"-Wl,-v" if you are using the compiler driver to perform the link).  It will
spit all sorts of information at you.  You are looking for a line which says
something is "version 0" (meaning old conventions) and another saying
something is "version 3" (meaning it requires things it calls to use new
conventions).  Your modules should all be coming out "version 2", meaning they
support the new conventions, but do not depend on things they call to do the
same.

Once you find the offending 0's and 3's, your workaround is to either recompile
the things that were "3" using "+O1" (or no optimization at all), which will
turn them back into 2's; or to recompile the things that were 0 using any
options you want, so they will become anything but 0.  Note that just because
you optimize something ("-O"), that doesn't mean it will come out 3; it will
still come out 2 unless it actually makes a lot of use of floating point.

--------------
Marc Sabatella (marc%hpfcrt@hplabs.hp.com)
Disclaimers:
	2 + 2 = 3, for suitably small values of 2
	Bill and Dave may not always agree with me

mev@hpfcso.HP.COM (Mike Vermeulen) (03/02/90)

>> The ANSI-C compiler is NOT included yet. The response center said
>> to wait a month or so. We actually got uucp up and running in two

> Are you sure this is the case?  We got 7.0 months ago and it had the
> ANSI C compiler.  Remember, the default behavior is not to use ANSI C,
> you have to run the compiler with the -Aa switch.

An ANSI C compiler was     released with HP-UX 7.0 for the series 800.
An ANSI C compiler was not released with HP-UX 7.0 for the series 300.

A s300 ANSI C compiler product can be ordered from the price list now, and
should be shipping soon.

--mev

disclaimer-I just work in the lab and don't make official statements.

ken@hpubrcf.HP.COM (Ken Green) (03/02/90)

>>The ANSI-C compiler is NOT included yet. The response center said
>>to wait a month or so. We actually got uucp up and running in two
>
>Are you sure this is the case?  We got 7.0 months ago and it had the
>ANSI C compiler.  Remember, the default behavior is not to use ANSI C,
>you have to run the compiler with the -Aa switch.

	ANSI-C is part of the 7.0 shipment for the 800 series only. The 300
	series 7.0 does not have ANSI-C.

				Ken Green
				--ukcrc--

shankar@hpclscu.HP.COM (Shankar Unni) (03/03/90)

> In article <1990Mar1.005350.5060@uncecs.edu> uccjcm@uncecs.edu (John McLendon) writes:
> >The ANSI-C compiler is NOT included yet. The response center said
> >to wait a month or so. We actually got uucp up and running in two
>
> Are you sure this is the case?  We got 7.0 months ago and it had the
> ANSI C compiler.  Remember, the default behavior is not to use ANSI C,
> you have to run the compiler with the -Aa switch.

The series 800 ANSI C compiler went out with 7.0. The series 300 compiler
missed the boat, and is being released asynchronously, soon after 7.0.

Both compile in K&R-compatibility mode by default, and require a switch
(-Aa) to compile in ANSI-compliant mode.
-----
Shankar Unni                                   E-Mail:
Hewlett-Packard California Language Lab.     Internet: shankar@hpda.hp.com
Phone : (408) 447-5797                           UUCP: ...!hplabs!hpda!shankar

DISCLAIMER:
This response does not represent the official position of, or statement by,
the Hewlett-Packard Company.  The above data is provided for informational
purposes only.  It is supplied without warranty of any kind.

calwa@.bnr.ca (Kevin Chapman) (03/08/90)

In article <7370091@hpfcso.HP.COM> mev@hpfcso.HP.COM (Mike Vermeulen) writes:

|An ANSI C compiler was     released with HP-UX 7.0 for the series 800.
|An ANSI C compiler was not released with HP-UX 7.0 for the series 300.
|
|A s300 ANSI C compiler product can be ordered from the price list now, and
|should be shipping soon.

How about an ANSI lint to go along with that compiler?

Kevin Chapman
   uunet!bnrgate!bcarh13!calwa

mev@hpfcso.HP.COM (Mike Vermeulen) (03/09/90)

>|An ANSI C compiler was     released with HP-UX 7.0 for the series 800.
>|An ANSI C compiler was not released with HP-UX 7.0 for the series 300.
>|
>|A s300 ANSI C compiler product can be ordered from the price list now, and
>|should be shipping soon.
>|

>How about an ANSI lint to go along with that compiler?

The s300 ANSI C compiler product includes an ANSI lint and cxref (and cflow
which comes for free because it calls the lint front end).  The lint
is produced from the same sources as the compiler (thus accepting ANSI syntax).
In addition, lint has been enhanced to detect silent ANSI changes and to
check prototype consistency and to check for lack of function prototypes.

ANSI versions of lint and cxref are not available with HP-UX 7.0 series 800,
but are planned for the future.

--mev

disclaimer: once again, not an official response.