[comp.sys.hp] hpux 6.5: nfs mount from hell

eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) (03/09/90)

apparently, it's a feature of HP-UX to be very stubborn if an
nfs mounted disk goes away...  everything starts going to pieces
when this happens, and one workstation after another hangs up --
even if the workstation is not referencing the mounted nfs disk at all.

does 7.0 do anything nicer when an nfs mounted disk goes away?
whenever this happens, we can't simply unmount the disk, because
it is "busy"...  (i'm sure some workstation or other is actually
keeping it busy, but why should *all* workstations freeze after a while?)

--
/* eli@spdcc.com ; 617-932-5598         */
/* Aye sir!  And a weeeeeeeee bit more. */

tomg@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Thomas J. Gilg) (03/13/90)

> apparently, it's a feature of HP-UX to be very stubborn if an
> nfs mounted disk goes away...  everything starts going to pieces
> when this happens, and one workstation after another hangs up --
> even if the workstation is not referencing the mounted nfs disk at all.

One thing that will help is to _avoid nfs mounting a disk to root_.
Instead, create an nfs subdirectory and nfs mount things there.

  # mount hpfoo1:/foodisk /foodisk               # not good.

       - In this case, system hangups are possible if hpfoo1:/foodisk
         goes away, even if you don't formally access /foodisk.  I suspect
         most resolutions of absolute path names (ie, /lib/cpp) requires
         a scan through /.  If a hung mount is hit before the desired
         file is found, you have a nasty hang.

  # mount hpfoo1:/foodisk /nfs/hpfoo1/users      # better.  Avoids most hangups

       - This should protect you unless you make a formal access
         of the mount.  You might want to consider soft mount and
         retry timeouts also in either case.

Thomas Gilg
tomg@cv.hp.com

tsuia@spock (Alan Tsui) (03/13/90)

In article <2008@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM> eli@ursa-major.spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) writes:
>does 7.0 do anything nicer when an nfs mounted disk goes away?

Try soft mount, with long timeout, or use automount [from Berkely].
--
Alan Tsui  (613) 592-2122  Kanata, Ontario, Canada   ...!uunet!mitel!tsui

jack@hpindda.HP.COM (Jack Repenning) (03/14/90)

Note that the strategy of mounting things in /nfs/hostname protects
you from tripping over dead NFS mounts whenever you try to access a
plain file, but it doesn't necessarily protect you from tripping over
dead NFS mounts when you access a (live) NFS file.  In general, the
problem is that you may have trouble whenever accessing the hung mount
itself, or any other file or directory in its parent directory.

You can buy that kind of protection by not mounting other system's
root (so now we have two rules: never mount to your own root, and
never mount someone else's root).  But that's no consolation if you
actually need to get to the other system's root.  You could get this
protection by introducing a phantom level of directory: mount things
to "/nfs/hostname/root" and below (e.g., the other system's passwd
file would be /nfs/othersys/root/etc/passwd).  In this case, you would
only stumble across the hung mount when accessing othersys.

However, there are still an annoying number of meanings for "access"
that you might not have thought of.  For instance, if the hung mount
(or any sibling) is in your $PATH, it may get "accessed" while trying
to find a command that's really elsewhere, and it will get "accessed"
by every csh that ever starts.

Jack Repenning - Information Networks Division,
		 Hewlett Packard Company
RFC-822:    jack@hptnjar.cup.hp.com
uucp:    ...!hplabs!hptnjar!jack
HPDesk: Jack REPENNING  /HP6600/UX
USMail: 43LN; 19420 Homestead Ave; Cupertino, CA  95014
Phone:  408/447-3380                     HPTelnet: 1-447-3380