[comp.sys.hp] Any software support for Exabyte tape system?

ps@tut.fi (Pertti Suomela) (02/22/90)

Does anyone of you net.people know where I can get software support
(device driver and whatever needed) for Exabyte 8mm video tape system?
The tape recorder has a SCSI-interface and we can connect it to a
9000/840 or a 9000/370. If you have any experience of this kind of a
backup system, I would be more than interested to hear of it.

HP has a DAT tape recorder with a SCSI-interface but can I use it in
any other system (as we may want to do) than in a HP? Any experience
of this one?

As I understand the situation, the 8mm tape system is more widely used
and a de facto standard in tape systems, right? Any opinions pro or
cons of these two (DAT or 8mm video) systems?
--
	 Pertti Suomela		Tampere University of Technology
				Control Engineering Laboratory

paulp@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Paul Perlmutter) (03/03/90)

The 7.0 release of HP-UX for the S300 supports the new 4mm product.
The 8mm Exabyte product which has been on the market for somewhat
more than a year is now being aggressively challenged by a variety
of 4mm vendors - including HP.  I doubt if you could claim it is
the "defacto" standard.  It merely had the lead, which I believe
will erode quickly given the advantages of 4mm.  In a very short
time,  4mm should be out-selling 8mm.

Will Exabyte work with 7.0?  It has not been carefully tested on
HP-UX systems.  But Exabyte does claim to support the SCSI I
standard.  The S300 HP-UX tape driver is a full implementation of
the SCSI sequential-access standard.

I personally would not use any sequential access device on any earlier
release of HP-UX (6.5 or earlier).  It is not supported, it is documented
to avoid doing this, and problems could very well be anticipated.

> HP has a DAT tape recorder with a SCSI-interface but can I use it in
> any other system (as we may want to do) than in a HP? Any experience
> of this one?

The HP DAT device should plug-and-play with most host systems that
implement the SCSI sequential acess protocol.  You could run into
problems if the tape driver in these systems took advantage of any
vendor-unique commands that are available on Exabyte, or QIC tapes.
My experience is that drivers distributed from host systems will
plug-and-play fairly well, while drivers for Exabytes distributed
by 8mm VAR vendors will use Exabyte vendor-unique functionality,
and consequently will not work with HP's DAT.

Cheers,
Paul Perlmutter
paulp@hpfcla

cheeks@edsr.eds.com (Mark Costlow) (03/07/90)

In article <5570383@hpfcdc.HP.COM>, paulp@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Paul
Perlmutter) writes:

> The 7.0 release [...] supports the new 4mm product.  The 8mm Exabyte
> product [...] is now being aggressively challenged by a variety
> of 4mm vendors - including HP.  I doubt if you could claim it is
> the "defacto" standard.  It merely had the lead, which I believe
> will erode quickly given the advantages of 4mm.  In a very short
                               ???^^^^???
> time,  4mm should be out-selling 8mm.

Which advantages would those be?  Slower transfer speeds, or smaller
capacity?  I don't mean to sound snide (I'm not doing a very good job am I?
:-), but I have seen several claims like this, but have yet to understand
what they mean.  What does DAT have that helical scan doesn't?  (Aside from
huge delays in product shipment - like you said, the Exabyte's been around
for over a year ... their *2nd* wave of products is due Summer-ish I think
...).

Anyway, anything you can say to enlighten me will be appreciated.

> Cheers,
> Paul Perlmutter
> paulp@hpfcla

Disclaimer: I am NOT associated with Exabyte in any way shape or form,
            except that I've used their tape drives.

cheeks@edsr.eds.com    or     ...uunet!edsr!cheeks

paulp@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Paul Perlmutter) (03/14/90)

PQP> The 7.0 release [...] supports the new 4mm product.  The 8mm Exabyte
PQP> product [...] is now being aggressively challenged by a variety
PQP> of 4mm vendors - including HP.  I doubt if you could claim it is
PQP> the "defacto" standard.  It merely had the lead, which I believe
PQP> will erode quickly given the advantages of 4mm.  In a very short
PQP> time,  4mm should be out-selling 8mm.

> Which advantages would those be?  Slower transfer speeds, or smaller
> capacity?  I don't mean to sound snide (I'm not doing a very good job
> am I? :-)

Actually,  you are sounding a bit snide.  But I'll let it pass, and
try to answer your questions.

Exabyte  marketing  focuses in on size and capacity, but I claim that it
is too simplistic a picture, and users are getting  misled.  Let me give
an analogy:  it's like buying a car and getting  fooled into focusing on
an engine that is bigger and faster,  forgetting  that you never  needed
engines of that size - and there is a whole lot more to a car than large
engines.

I think it is undeniable that 8mm has captured part of the market.  But
I think 4mm is better,  it will become the defacto standard, and here to
stay for some of these reasons:

	- 4mm is being aggressively marketed by both mechanism manufacturers
	  and system integrators.  *Already* we have 3.5" mechs on the market,
	  half-height mechs, and the future is extremely bright with
	  extremely low cost products in the very near future.  Exabyte
	  simply will not penetrate the low-end market because of their
	  high-cost, form factor requirements.  4mm will totally dominate
	  PC/Unix,  other PC platforms,  and low-end workstations!
	  I claim in about one year Exabyte will be considered a "high-priced"
	  solution!

	  I claim that customers will want low-cost,  high-reliability
	  backup.  This is what 4mm gives us.  DAT is big enough, fast
	  enough,  and customers will focus in on the more important
	  features such as:

		- lower cost
		- smaller form factor
		- partition support
		- fast search

	- Exabyte has some serious limitations:  when you insert a tape
	  into the mechanism,  you can have a coffee break before it is
	  loaded.  Repositioning and ejecting cartridges is also
	  unpleasantly tedious.  Their 270 degree wrap angle causes
	  reliability problems.  (4mm uses 90 degree.)

	- Exabyte  is the  sole  vendor  of 8mm,  and  SONY is the  sole
	  manufacturer  of 8mm.  And that  scares me.  If Exabyte  has a
	  fire - poof, there goes  production for a year.  If SONY backs
	  out for whatever reason, 8mm is dead.

	- Is 'size' the issue?  I have only rarely seen systems that require
	  2 GBytes of storage.   Remember too, that size varies dramatically
	  on Exabyte tapes due to their implementation.  So,  2 Gbytes is
	  actually unusual,  with smaller capacities very common.  4mm
	  more reliably gives you 1.3 gbytes.

	  Tapes are so incredibly cheap,  that I find almost everyone merely
	  archives their data onto a small portion of the tape and never
	  reuses that tape!  People continue to be misled by capacity:
	  Exabyte requires 2 MBytes per file mark!  Their error recovery is
	  abysmal,  and takes megabytes of capacity to recover.

	- About transfer speeds - Exabyte is a little faster.  But let's
	  look at the whole picture.  I have seen users of Exabytes wait for
	  hours and hours to recover a file.  And this is no exaggeration.
	  4mm with fast-search will require a few minutes.  The point is,
	  I don't care how fast I transfer data as long as it is quick -
	  since I do it at night.  I care *very much* how long
	  it takes to recover since I do that during the day!

	  Transfer time is such a misleading concept.  It's recovery
	  time that is critical for me.

	  And remember too:  Exabyte claims 15 MBytes/min while DDS claims
	  11 MBytes/min.  But when you consider the time cost in writing
	  out file marks, or error-recovery for Exabyte,  the speeds drop
	  off.  4mm takes no data space for tape marks,  and error
	  recovery is light years ahead of 8mm.

kc@hprnd.HP.COM (Kurt Chan) (03/15/90)

>	- Exabyte  is the  sole  vendor  of 8mm,  and  SONY is the  sole
>	  manufacturer  of 8mm.  And that  scares me.  If Exabyte  has a
>	  fire - poof, there goes  production for a year.  If SONY backs
>	  out for whatever reason, 8mm is dead.
                                   ^^^
                      Did you mean 4mm, Paul?

BTW, thanks for this enlightening info - some little-known facts about
our sequential access alternatives!

Also,

- do you know what the comparative media costs are?

- how about comparative media reliability and how often
  "recovered errors" occur on each?