[comp.sys.hp] Long File Names under HP-UX 7.0

scpinker@pikes.Colorado.EDU (Scott C. Pinkerton) (02/28/90)

We are preparing to install a number of 9000/375's, 345's and a number of
emulators (1750a target), and we'll be using HP's 1750 Assembler/linker
along with the 64000UX operating environment.  Additionally we are going
to be using HP Framemaker (Documentation Publishing System).  I understand
that Framemaker requires that HP-UX be configured for long file names, and
I remember a number of people commenting on this subject a while back,
in a general sense.
    (Now that I really care) What experiences have people had with
HP-UX 7.0 using long file names?  I'm particularily interested in any
compatibility issues with the Logic Systems Division products -
In circuit Emulators, Software Performance Analyzer, 1750a Assembler/Linker
or even other CASE tools such as Cadre Teamwork, or softbench.

Thanks for any inputs/experiences!

gentry@kcdev.UUCP (Art Gentry) (02/28/90)

In article <3339@pikes.Colorado.EDU> scpinker@pikes.Colorado.EDU (Scott C. Pinkerton) writes:
>We are preparing to install a number of 9000/375's, 345's and a number of
>emulators (1750a target), and we'll be using HP's 1750 Assembler/linker
>along with the 64000UX operating environment.  Additionally we are going
>to be using HP Framemaker (Documentation Publishing System).  I understand
>that Framemaker requires that HP-UX be configured for long file names, and
>I remember a number of people commenting on this subject a while back,
>in a general sense.
>    (Now that I really care) What experiences have people had with
>HP-UX 7.0 using long file names?  I'm particularily interested in any
>compatibility issues with the Logic Systems Division products -
>In circuit Emulators, Software Performance Analyzer, 1750a Assembler/Linker
>or even other CASE tools such as Cadre Teamwork, or softbench.
>
>Thanks for any inputs/experiences!

Long file names are WONDERFULL!!!!  About the only thing I've had to worry
about is moving files to other vendors systems.  Not all (and AT&T is one,
I'm ashamed to say) systems support long file names, and I've had to go in
and shorten names prior to moving them over.  Now the receiving system
will not generally reject the file, just truncate it, but that can cause
serious problems if you have something like this:

this_is_file_name_number_1
this_is_file_name_number_2

What you end up with on the non-long file name system is ONE file called:

this_is_file_

since the second file is just going to overlay the first, since the short
file names system thinks they are the same file :-{

--
| R. Arthur Gentry     AT&T Communications     Kansas City, MO     64106 |
| Email: gentry@kcdev               ATTMail: attmail!kc4rtm!gentry       |

diamant@hpfcjohn.SDE.HP.COM (John Diamant) (03/02/90)

Art Gentry (gentry@kcdev.UUCP) writes:

> >    (Now that I really care) What experiences have people had with
> >HP-UX 7.0 using long file names?  I'm particularily interested in any
> >compatibility issues with the Logic Systems Division products -
> >In circuit Emulators, Software Performance Analyzer, 1750a Assembler/Linker
> >or even other CASE tools such as Cadre Teamwork, or softbench.

I don't know about the other ones, but HP SoftBench works correctly on either
short or long filename systems.

John Diamant
Software Engineering Systems Division
Hewlett Packard Co.		ARPA Internet: diamant@hpfclp.sde.hp.com
Fort Collins, CO		UUCP:  {hpfcla,hplabs}!hpfclp!diamant

This is a personal response and does not constitute a statement of Hewlett-
Packard Company.  For an official statement, contact your local HP sales rep.

clif@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM (Clif Finch) (03/16/90)

>    (Now that I really care) What experiences have people had with
>HP-UX 7.0 using long file names?  I'm particularily interested in any
>compatibility issues with the Logic Systems Division products -
>In circuit Emulators, Software Performance Analyzer, 1750a Assembler/Linker
>or even other CASE tools such as Cadre Teamwork, or softbench.

All PL17 products (Logic Systems Division, HP64XXX) can be loaded on and
will run on both short and long file name systems.  However, not all
products have been enhanced to consume and produce long file names.

LSD intends to provide this enhancement for all of our products at the
normal revision cycle for each one of them.

The following products have already been enhanced to "produce and comsume"
long file names.

HP64203/004           8085 Emulation
HP64286/004           F9450 Emulation
HP64288/004           P1750 Emulation
HP64380/004/005       68000 BBA
HP64381/004/005       68020 BBA
HP64382/004/005       8086  BBA
HP64383/004/005       68030 BBA
HP64610/004           Timing/State Analyzer
HP647nn/004           64700 Timing in Softkey Interface