[comp.sys.hp] Framemaker 2.0

scpinker@pikes.Colorado.EDU (Scott C. Pinkerton) (03/16/90)

  Hello, we just recently ordered Framemaker (through HP) and without even
having received the software yet - I understand that HP will no longer be
distributing this product in the future.  Two questions 1) is it true that
the version HP is shipping today, is maker1.3 ??  and 2) is anyone else
already using Framemaker - direct from Frame ??

Where is version 2.0 for the HP, I am currently using 2.0 on a sun?

Also, using framemaker on the HP's seem to require using an ID module at
every single seat (servers & discless nodes).  Framemaker 2.0 (from Frame)
no longer requires the use of HP ID modules - can someone confirm or deny this?

Any experiences would be helpful.

scott pinkerton
scpinker@pikes.colorado.edu

ries@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Marc Ries) (03/16/90)

FWIW:
I just read something in PC Week (of all things) that said Framemaker
was releasing version  2.0-X that run under MOTIF on both the HP and
the SUNs.

--
Marc Ries
           ries@venice.sedd.trw.com     (ARPA)

tsuia@spock (Alan Tsui) (03/20/90)

In article <3411@pikes.Colorado.EDU> scpinker@pikes.Colorado.EDU (Scott C. Pinkerton) writes:

>  Hello, we just recently ordered Framemaker (through HP) and without even
>having received the software yet - I understand that HP will no longer be
>distributing this product in the future.  Two questions 1) is it true that
>the version HP is shipping today, is maker1.3 ??  and 2) is anyone else
>already using Framemaker - direct from Frame ??
>
>Where is version 2.0 for the HP, I am currently using 2.0 on a sun?
>

>Also, using framemaker on the HP's seem to require using an ID module at
>every single seat (servers & discless nodes).  Framemaker 2.0 (from Frame)
>no longer requires the use of HP ID modules - can someone confirm or deny this?

	Framemaker 1.3 (from Frame running on the Sun) allows floating license.
	Why can't we have that on HP too?
	We run the X-window version of Framemaker 1.3 on the HP through the
	Sun.  That is the only economical way to do for us.
	[It is far cheaper to buy a Sun, have the floating license version of
	Framemaker to run on it, and then about 30 HPs can share those licenses
	through X-window.]
	However, I still love to see Framemaker 2.0 will allow floating license
	on the HPs.
--
Alan Tsui  (613) 592-2122  Kanata, Ontario, Canada   ...!uunet!mitel!tsui

dpb@viking.Berkeley.EDU (Don Bennett) (03/22/90)

> >Also, using framemaker on the HP's seem to require using an ID module at
> >every single seat (servers & discless nodes).  Framemaker 2.0 (from Frame)
> >no longer requires the use of HP ID modules - can someone confirm or
deny this?

> 	... However, I still love to see Framemaker 2.0 will allow floating license
> 	on the HPs.

I think it is reasonable to expect that the floating license server will
work on HP machines for 2.0.

   Don Bennett           (408)433-3311
   dpb@frame.com
   Frame Technology

roy@hpfelg.HP.COM (Roy Anderson) (03/29/90)

I have addressed several questions raised here, in a separate
basenote entitled "Re: FrameMaker 2.0 - answers" (in this note
stream).
-Roy Anderson
 HP FrameMaker Product Manager
 Hewlett-Packard Company