[comp.sys.hp] Hp version of PBMPLUS package?

hm0i+@andrew.cmu.edu (H. Scott Matthews) (04/11/90)

I have been trying unsuccessfully for several months to find an HP compatible
version of the PBMPLUS package.  I have also tried altering the source,
but there are just too many differences...

Anyone have pointers to a solution?

Thanks.

H. Scott Matthews     Lab for Computational Linguistics
Sophomore	      Baker Hall
Comp.E/EPP            (412) 268-5085
268-4486
         Carnegie Mellon University
"Give us an example of a modern day paradox, Bart..."

"How about 'you're damned if you do, damned if you don't ? '"

--- Bart Simpson

irf@kuling.UUCP (Bo Thide') (04/12/90)

In article <0a8aNeW00UhBI30X5_@andrew.cmu.edu> hm0i+@andrew.cmu.edu (H. Scott Matthews) writes:
>I have been trying unsuccessfully for several months to find an HP compatible
>version of the PBMPLUS package.  I have also tried altering the source,
>but there are just too many differences...
>
>Anyone have pointers to a solution?

I have been using pbmplus (and, before that, pbm) on a 9000/370.  All the
various filters I have tried work all right (except where bugs are present).
I never had any any problems compiling any of these in HP-UX.  If
you e-mail me I can try to help you.  As a matter of fact I contributed
of the pbm routines (pbmtogo) and fixed a few bugs in another one -- all
this work was done in HP-UX.

Bo

milburn@me10.lbl.gov (John Milburn) (04/12/90)

In article <0a8aNeW00UhBI30X5_@andrew.cmu.edu> hm0i+@andrew.cmu.edu (H. Scott Matthews) writes:

>I have been trying unsuccessfully for several months to find an HP compatible
>version of the PBMPLUS package.  I have also tried altering the source,
>but there are just too many differences...

>Anyone have pointers to a solution?

No need to alter the source.  With 7.0 at least, all you need is a
decent makefile.  I used the imake utility from X11R3 with jef's
Imakefile and all went perfectly.  If you don't have the MIT X
distribution, I can send you my Makefiles.

You can get the most current rev of pbmplus via anonymous ftp
from expo.lcs.mit.edu in the contrib directory.

-rw-rw-rw-  1 ftp        278222 Jan 15 15:36 pbmplus.tar.Z

BTW, the author of pbmplus is Jef Poskanzer, jef@well.sf.ca.us or
jef@helios.ee.lbl.gov.

JEMilburn@lbl.gov  ...!ucbvax!lbl.gov!JEMilburn