[comp.sys.hp] root over NFS

greg@cityzoo.acs.umbc.edu (Greg Sylvain,Lib 007,3929,4376834) (03/22/90)

	Does anyone out there have a patch for nfs that allows root to "be"
root over an nfs mount. (i.e. to allow root to access a file that, on the
remote machine, has permissions only for the owner of the file in question.
[0700])

	I know there was alot of discussion on this topic earlier in the
year, did anything come of it ? And better yet, is it fixed in 7.0 ?

	I'm running 6.5 hp-ux on a hp9000s300 model 340.

	Thanks from any info,
	greg

				Greg Sylvain
				Academic Computing Services
				Systems Programmer

	UUCP:           	...!{uunet}!umbc3!greg
	Internet (Arpa) :	greg@umbc3.umbc.edu
 	BITNET :		GREGS@UMBC

milburn@me10.lbl.gov (John Milburn) (03/22/90)

In article <3008@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> greg@umbc3.umbc.edu (Greg Sylvain,Lib 007,3929,4376834) writes:

>	Does anyone out there have a patch for nfs that allows root to "be"
>root over an nfs mount. (i.e. to allow root to access a file that, on the
>remote machine, has permissions only for the owner of the file in question.
>[0700])

From last summer:

From: vic@zen.co.uk (Victor Gavin)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.hp
Subject: Re: Backup over net (Was Re: NFS Super users?)
Date: 19 Jul 89 10:47:44 GMT

[...]
This is where the changing of the kernal's map of UID 0 to nobody becomes
useful. To do this just

	adb -w /hp-ux
	nobody ?W 0
	$q

The problem is that now root on any machine can access all the files on the
machine that uses this kernal. Of course this b*ggers up security no end.

What the newer versions of NFS allow, is for you to specify when you export a
file system, which machines can have root access to that file system

eg On our Sun machine we have this line to allow our 840 to back up its /
directory

	      / -access=zen:zenvec,root=zen

(-access specifies which machines can access the file system and
-root says which machines have root capability on that file system)

			vic
--
Victor Gavin						Zengrange Limited
vic@zen.co.uk						Greenfield Road

-jem

JEMilburn@lbl.gov  ...!ucbvax!lbl.gov!JEMilburn

nick@bischeops.UUCP (Nick Bender) (04/12/90)

In article <PS.90Apr2132224@sparrow.tut.fi>, ps@tut.fi (Pertti Suomela) writes:
> In article <5178@helios.ee.lbl.gov> milburn@me10.lbl.gov (John Milburn) writes:
> > In article <3008@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> greg@umbc3.umbc.edu (Greg Sylvain,Lib 007,3929,4376834) writes:
> > >
> > >	Does anyone out there have a patch for nfs that allows root to "be"
> > >root over an nfs mount.
>
> [ kernel patch rm'ed ]
>
> > The problem is that now root on any machine can access all the files on the
> > machine that uses this kernal. Of course this b*ggers up security no end.
>
> Meaning the each and every PC (with NFS) in the net has root access to
> your file system. Not a nice idea to me.

Yeah, yeah. Bla bla bla. The real solution is in the latest rev of NFS
(available on your nearest Sun, NeXT, or other up-to-date platform).
To quote "man 5 exports":

     An entry for a directory consists of a line of the following
     form:

          directory   -option[,option ]...

     directory      is the pathname of a directory (or file).

     option         is one of
                    anon=uid
                         If a request comes from an unknown user,
                         use  uid as the effective user ID. Note:
                         root users (uid 0) are always considered
                         unknown  by  the NFS server, unless they
                         are included in the root  option  below.
                         The default value for this option is -2.
                         Setting anon to  -1  disables  anonymous
                         access. Note: by default secure NFS will
                         accept insecure requests  as  anonymous,
                         and those wishing for extra security can
                         disable this feature by setting anon  to
                         -1.

                    root=hostnames[:hostname]...
                         Give root access only to the root  users
                         from  a specified hostname.  The default
                         is for  no  hosts  to  be  granted  root
                         access.
   EXAMPLE
     /usr      -access=clients     # export to my clients
     /usr/local                    # export to the world
     /usr2     -access=hermes:zip:tutorial# export to only these machines
     /usr/sun  -root=hermes:zip    # give root access only to these
     /usr/new  -anon=0             # give all machines root access

   Sun Release 4.0    Last change: 22 March 1989                   2
		      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Looks like this stuff has been around for awhile...
So how bout it HP? New nfs anytime soon? HPUX 9.0?

Nick Bender				nick%bischeops@uunet.uu.net

mark@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Mark Davies) (04/15/90)

In article <395@bischeops.UUCP> nick@bischeops.UUCP (Nick Bender) writes:
>Yeah, yeah. Bla bla bla. The real solution is in the latest rev of NFS
>(available on your nearest Sun, NeXT, or other up-to-date platform).

or HP running MORE/bsd from mt Xinu.

cheers
mark