[comp.sys.hp] a sql/4gl db package anyone ?

gentry@kcdev.UUCP (Art Gentry) (04/09/90)

In article <3084@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> greg@umbc3.umbc.edu (Greg Sylvain,Lib 007,3929,) writes:
}
}	Hello everyone,
}
}	I was hoping someone could recommend a database package (a development
}oriented database), that can be used by students to write various kinds of
}db packages/software.  It almost would be a neccessity to have both sql and
}some sort of 4GL incorportated in it.  It would also be nice if it was ported
}to VAX Ultrix (RISC and CISC architectures), hp-ux(at least running on the
}mc68030 and mc68040, maybe even their RISC arcitecures as well) and maybe exen
} SUN's (SPARCstation architecture).
}
}	Any suggestions ?  Any response would be nice.
}
I highly recommend Informix.  Will run on all of the platforms that you
have mentioned.  I have used it on AT&T and HP processors for several
years and am extreemly pleased with.

--
| R. Arthur Gentry     AT&T Communications     Kansas City, MO     64106 |
| Email: gentry@kcdev.uucp          ATTMail: attmail!kc4rtm!gentry       |

nigelc@cognos.UUCP (Nigel Campbell) (05/02/90)

In article <VCHAUDHA.90Apr27174446@hqsun4.oracle.com> Vchaudha%Oracle.Com@Uunet.Uu.Net writes:
>In article <3084@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> greg@cityzoo.acs.umbc.edu (Greg Sylvain,Lib 007,3929,) writes:
>
> [	   I was hoping someone could recommend a database package (a developme
> [   oriented database), that can be used by students to write various kinds of
> [   db packages/software.  It almost would be a neccessity to have both sql an
> [   some sort of 4GL incorportated in it.  It would also be nice if it was por
> [   to VAX Ultrix (RISC and CISC architectures), hp-ux(at least running on the
> [   mc68030 and mc68040, maybe even their RISC arcitecures as well) and maybe
> [    SUN's (SPARCstation architecture).

Cognos sells a 4gl/database solution which does not require the use
of 3.gls or SQL to write applications .

Platform		File Systems

Hp-MpeV (Cisc)		Ksam.Mpe.Turbo-image
Hp-MpeXl (Risc)		Ksam.Mpe.Turbo-image.Starbase
Hp-Ux	(Risc)		C-Isam.Starbase

Vax-Vms 		Rms.Rdb/Vms.Starbase		Supports clusters and
vax-Ultrix		database engine only		Dec-Net.Dsri compliant
							Database access

Dg-Aos/Vs or VsII	Infos.Icobol.Aos.Dg/SQL

Ibm-Pc DOS or Os/2	Flat and Indexed files
			Import/Export to Lotus,Ascii,Dbase etc

Sun/Apollo		Database engine only
--
Nigel Campbell          Voice: (613) 783-6828                P.O. Box 9707
Cognos Incorporated       FAX: (613) 738-0002                3755 Riverside Dr.