[comp.sys.hp] Problems with hp9000/319C+

gjc@portia.Stanford.EDU (George J. Chen) (05/02/90)

Hello all.  We are still having problems with our hp system.  We have
a hp9000/319C+ running HPUX 6.5, X11R4.

I've heard from across the country that ckermit is supposed to work on
HPs under HPUX6.5, but we still can't seem to get it to work.  I would
like to know if anyone who has a 319C+ has gotten it to work. Also, is
the debugging mode documented anywhere? I've been able to turn it on,
but don't know how to read the output.  (I suspect our kshell  is
somehow trapping the control characters since a single ^C pops ckermit
out.)

One more thing:  I've tried compiling gnuemacs w/ X-Windows & X11
defined.  From another machine, it opens up a window and then core
dumps.  Any idea what is wrong?  It seems to work fine w/o X-Windows
defined.

Thanks.

--
George J. Chen
Internet: gjc@nova.stanford.edu    | UUCP:  ..uunet!gjc%nova.stanford.edu

nelson@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (J. Nelson Howell) (05/03/90)

In article <11917@portia.Stanford.EDU> gjc@portia.Stanford.EDU (George J. Chen) writes:
>Hello all.  We are still having problems with our hp system.  We have
>a hp9000/319C+ running HPUX 6.5, X11R4.
>
>I've heard from across the country that ckermit is supposed to work on
>HPs under HPUX6.5, but we still can't seem to get it to work.

I have gotten ckermit to work on a 319 diskless station, but I had
a lot of trouble with the connection dropping data (LOTS of resends,
and full screen editing on a remote host was out).  I was told that
the largest problem was the buffer in the 319 was too small to keep up
with the connection (9600 baud).  Now I have HP-UX 7.0, and have yet to
try kermit since I have also aquired a network connection :-)
I also don't know about shell interaction.  I was using csh at the time.

J. Nelson Howell
System Programmer				nelson@midas.mgmt.purdue.edu
Krannert Graduate School of Management		NELSON@PURCCVM.BITNET
Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN

wunder@hp-ses.SDE.HP.COM (Walter Underwood) (05/04/90)

>I've heard from across the country that ckermit is supposed to work on
>HPs under HPUX6.5, but we still can't seem to get it to work.

Just type "kermit".  HP ships and supports Kermit.  Here is it is on
HP-UX 7.0:

   $ /usr/bin/kermit
   C-Kermit, 4E(072) 24 Jan 89, HP 9000 Series HP-UX
   Type ? for help
   C-Kermit>q
   $

wunder