[comp.sys.hp] exporting directories w/ 7.0

jsd@esl.ESL.COM (Jeff Dalton) (05/04/90)

If I understand the documentation correctly, under HP-UX 7.0
you can put directories in the /etc/export file.  As such it's
compatible with the suns now and don't have to export the whole
file system.  We've tried this...  an HP networks type has tried
this... neither of us has gotten it to work correctly.

What I was wondering is if anyone out there has been able to
export directories thru NFS and not just file systems using 7.0
on a 9000/360 (or 7.0 on any platform)?  Is this possible?
Should it be?

Thanks.

btw: I've downloaded various monitor_7.0 programs and they all die
with an "illegal instruction" error.  Am I doing something wrong?

--
Jeff Dalton, ESL Inc., Sunnyvale CA       Don't correct my spelling, I didn't.

corrigan@weber.ucsd.edu (Michael J. Corrigan) (05/04/90)

In article <247@esl.ESL.COM> jsd@bambam.UUCP (Jeff Dalton) writes:
   >What I was wondering is if anyone out there has been able to
   >export directories thru NFS and not just file systems using 7.0
   >on a 9000/360 (or 7.0 on any platform)?  Is this possible?
   >Jeff Dalton, ESL Inc., Sunnyvale CA

It works under 7.0 on the 800-series.

milburn@me10.lbl.gov (John Milburn) (05/04/90)

In article <247@esl.ESL.COM> jsd@bambam.UUCP (Jeff Dalton) writes:
>If I understand the documentation correctly, under HP-UX 7.0
>you can put directories in the /etc/export file.  As such it's
>compatible with the suns now and don't have to export the whole
>file system.  We've tried this...  an HP networks type has tried
>this... neither of us has gotten it to work correctly.

Sure, you can put the name of a directory in the exports file.
However, this name is only effective if the named directory is the
mount point, on the exporting machine, of a file system.

>What I was wondering is if anyone out there has been able to
>export directories thru NFS and not just file systems using 7.0
>on a 9000/360 (or 7.0 on any platform)?  Is this possible?
>Should it be?

It is not possible. It would be nice if it were possible.

>btw: I've downloaded various monitor_7.0 programs and they all die
>with an "illegal instruction" error.  Am I doing something wrong?

I think you are doing something wrong.  I assume that you are getting
monitor_7.0 from me10.lbl.gov.  The binary in
/usr/spool/ftp/hp-ux/contrib/usr/bin works fine on my 370 running 7.0.
Others have grabbed this file and it seems to work for them.  Be sure the
executable is owned by root with the umask set to 4111.

>Jeff Dalton, ESL Inc., Sunnyvale CA       Don't correct my spelling, I didn't.

-jem
JEMilburn@lbl.gov  ...!ucbvax!lbl.gov!JEMilburn

jsadler@misty.boeing.com (Jim Sadler) (05/04/90)

I believe that the directory parameter is a "convenience".  You still
have to export a file system.  HP may incorporate the later versions of
NFS, then again they may not.

jim sadler
206-234-9009	email	uunet!bcstec!jsadler | hplabs!hpubvwa!b-mrda!jim
		and one of this days: (root)jsadler@misty.ca.boeing.com