[comp.sys.hp] Reply to Harry Phinney about X11R4 on Hp300

harperb@cps3xx.egr.msu.edu (Brett Harper) (05/10/90)

From: Harry Phinney <harry@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com>

Subject: Re: Help for making X11R4 on HP300 series

> In what way does it execute improperly?  The server will generally spit
> out some sort of error message if it is unhappy with your configuration,
> and the error message would likely be meaningful to me (although not
> necessarily to anyone else :-().  Are you starting it with xinit, xdm,
> or are you just running "Xhp"?  If you simply run the server (Xhp), does
> it paint the root window and display a cursor, or what?

> Harry Phinney   harry@hp-pcd.cv.hp.com

Thanks for replying so quickly, I would email back to you but our mail
server cannot send to your address.  I have tried it before, and after three
days of wandering around my message came back.

After compiling the entire release with gcc, and setting up symbolic links
from /usr/bin/X11 and /usr/include/X11 to the X11R4 directories I made and
putting all the new libs in /usr/lib, I made xterm, xinit, xload setuid
owned by root. Also made /usr/bin/X11/X a link to Xhp.

The command I used to start X was xinit. Soon after doing that I get:

>  Getting interface configuration: Operation not supported

Then, then grey stipple background comes up with a X cursor that moves, and
then it crashes with:

> XIO:  fatal IO error 223 (Operation not supported) on X server "unix:0.0"
>       after 40 requests (37 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

What do you make of this?  Should I try compiling with cc.

Thanks again,

Brett Harper
harperb@frith.egr.msu.edu

Case Center