[comp.sys.hp] VPATH

denny@tss.com (Denny Page) (05/09/90)

Does anyone know what magic is required to get HP's make to recognize
VPATH?

Denny

fkittred@bbn.com (Fletcher Kittredge) (05/09/90)

In article <DENNY.90May8180538@tekdev.tss.com> denny@tss.com (Denny Page) writes:
>Does anyone know what magic is required to get HP's make to recognize
>VPATH?
>
>Denny

VPATH is a feature of GNU make, so you will need to install GNU make on
your system.  GNU make runs very well on both the HP9000 series 800s
and series 300, and has much greater functionality than the HP supplied
make.  GNU make is available from the Free Software Foundation.  It might
be on HP's contrib tape.

regards,
fletcher

P.S. You can get GNU make by writing to:

 Free Software Foundation
 675 Mass Ave
 Cambridge MA 02139

or by ftp-ing it from:

 18.71.0.38      prep.ai.mit.edu

where it is in the directory /u2/emacs.  The lastest version is 3.58.

Fletcher E. Kittredge  fkittred@bbn.com
Platforms and Tools Group
BBN Software Products Company
10 Fawcett St.
Cambridge, MA. 02138

denny@tss.com (Denny Page) (05/09/90)

Fletcher> Sender: news@bbn.com

Fletcher> VPATH is a feature of GNU make [...]

VPATH in GNU make was taken from sysV make (per GNU doc).  The string
"VPATH" appears in the HP binary for make, however it doesn't seem to
be used.  I'm wondering if a special flag is needed or if the format
is different or some such.

Btw: VPATH is also in Sun releases.

Denny

taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) (05/09/90)

Fletcher Kittredge of BBN responds to Denny Pages' request for
information on VPATH in HP-UX "make" with:

> VPATH is a feature of GNU make, so you will need to install GNU
> make on your system...

This isn't quite the complete picture.  That is, check this out:

  % uname -a
  HP-UX limbo 6.5 B 9000/340 limbo

  % what /bin/make
  /bin/make:
	   $Revision: 63.1 $

  % strings /bin/make | grep VPATH
  VPATH

So you can see that the HP version of make *knows* about the variable
in some sense or other.  Curiously, however, the man page doesn't
reference the variable at all (alas)...

What's the gig?
						-- Dave Taylor
Intuitive Systems
Mountain View, California

taylor@limbo.intuitive.com    or   {uunet!}{decwrl,apple}!limbo!taylor

beshers@open.cs.columbia.edu (Clifford Beshers) (05/10/90)

> VPATH is a feature of GNU make, so you will need to install GNU
> make on your system...

It was my impression that VPATH was a feature of System V Unix originally.
Clifford Beshers
450 Computer Science Department
Columbia University
New York, NY 10027