[comp.sys.hp] rwhod + HP-UX 6.5 + Yellow Pages = BIG NO-NO

rkl@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk (05/24/90)

In article <299@zircon.UUCP>, davidb@Pacer.UUCP (David Barts) writes:

> After I upgraded our HP-UX cluster to 6.5, I noticed that rwho(1)
> stopped working.  It never reports any users on any system.

Ding ! Ding ! Ding ! This rings a bell - it happened to us too...

Problem:

The rwhod daemon fails dismally under HP-UX 6.5.

Reason:

You have Yellow Pages running - something HP don't seem to want to
know about (I'm dying to find out if SAM works with Yellow Pages in 7.0
for username management...).

Solution:

Retrieve the HP-UX 6.2 copy of rwhod from your backup tapes and run that
instead. I'm not sure whether 7.0 has this problem too, but we're due to
upgrade anyday now...

More drastic (but probably better in the long run !) solution:

Switch off Yellow Pages and implement your own scheme - our site is
likely to try this with 7.0 because YP has given us no end of trouble.

> Anyone managed to get rwhod to work in 6.5?  (I have a feeling the
> problem is embarrassingly simple, but I've RTFM'ed this problem to
> death and haven't found a clue as to what's going on.)

It *is* simple, once you know that HP have made a mess of rwhod with
Yellow Pages under 6.5. Did they actually test this software combination
or am I being unduly harsh to HP (unlikely) ?

Richard K. Lloyd,       *** This is a MicroVAX II running VAX/VMS V5.3-1 ***
Computer Science Dept., * JANET     : RKL@UK.AC.LIV.CS.MVA or              *
Liverpool University,   *             RKL@000010500211.FTP.MAIL            *
Merseyside, England,    * Internet  : RKL%mva.cs.liv.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu *