[comp.sys.hp] differences now between 300 and 800?

saaf@joker.optics.rochester.edu (Lennart Saaf) (06/06/90)

We have a 9000/835 running 7.0.  A colleague questioned a software
manufacturer about their support of HP-UX.  He said they did support
the 300 series but not the 800 series.  I am ignorant about the 300
series machines but wasn't 7.0 supposed to bring the two lines
together?  Obviously things have to be compiled on the particular
series on which you want to run, but is there much more to it than
that?

Confused in Rochester,
Len

| Len Saaf, The Institute of Optics, Univ. of Rochester, Rochester, NY |
| Internet: saaf@joker.optics.rochester.edu        Bitnet: SAAF@UOROPT |

fkittred@bbn.com (Fletcher Kittredge) (06/06/90)

In article <SAAF.90Jun5210949@joker.optics.rochester.edu> saaf@joker.optics.rochester.edu (Lennart Saaf) writes:
>We have a 9000/835 running 7.0.  A colleague questioned a software
>manufacturer about their support of HP-UX.  He said they did support
>the 300 series but not the 800 series.  I am ignorant about the 300
>series machines but wasn't 7.0 supposed to bring the two lines
>together?  Obviously things have to be compiled on the particular
>series on which you want to run, but is there much more to it than
>that?
>
>Confused in Rochester,
>Len

A non-inclusive list:

1) HP-UX 7.0 is not a complete merge.  For example, they have different
   C compilers.

2) The 800 series is a RISC like architecture with all of the portability
   constraints of that class of architectures.

3) The stack direction is different.

4) The 800 is a strictly aligned architecture.

5) The peripherials are different.

For these reasons, supporting each of the HP series requires a software
vendor to devote significant resources to development, capital
equipment, QA, support and sales.

regards,
fletcher

Fletcher E. Kittredge  fkittred@bbn.com