[comp.sys.hp] UUCP over TCP/IP...the solution!?

dhuber@aut.UUCP (Daniel Huber) (06/04/90)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.hp
Subject: UUCP over TCP/IP....the solution!?

Some weeks ago, I was searching a solution for the problem UUCP over
TCP/IP for HP9000/835 machines (HP-UX7.0).
This feature is NOT supported by HP.    :-(
I have some "older" UNIX-systems, so I have to connect them with
UUCP.
I'm not a UNIX expert! Now, I work 7 months with UNIX.

This is my solution (without a hack within any source or binary):
Works only with uucp, not with cu. I have rlogin for this.

- Make a null-modem connection between two serial lines on the same
  computer. (I know, there could be no serial ports free)
  Look to "Managing uucp and Usenet", or your Manuals for the pin
  connections.
  On my machine this are tty0p2 outgoing, tty0p1 incomming.
  On tty0p1 runs a getty with 19200 baud.

- Make a login for uucp over tcp/ip with a shell named rluucp

	(on one line!)
  	rluucp:VSGqAPG6FsJkU:7:3:remote uucp:/usr/spool/uucppublic:
	/usr/lib/uucp/rluucp

- And here the shellscript:

	#! /bin/sh
	#
	# Hack for tcpip over uucp
	#
	# HP9000/835 does not support this directly!
	#
	#

	echo "rlogin_machine: \c"
	read RLOGIN_MACHINE
	rlogin $RLOGIN_MACHINE -8

- The Systems file looks like this:

	(on one line!)
  	<othermachine> Any tcpiphack,f 19200 - "" \r\d\r\d\r
	ogin:-BREAK-ogin: rluucp assword: <rluucppasswd> achine:
	<othermachine> ogin: <loginname> assword: <uucppassword>

- The Devices file looks like this:

  	tcpiphack tty0p2 - 19200 direct

I also tried it with telnet, but I think thats not very secure.

Are there some problems with this solution, I don't know?

Regards

Daniel

davidb@Pacer.UUCP (David Barts) (06/07/90)

In article <492@aut.UUCP>, dhuber@aut.UUCP (Daniel Huber) writes:
> Some weeks ago, I was searching a solution for the problem UUCP over
> TCP/IP for HP9000/835 machines (HP-UX7.0).
> This feature is NOT supported by HP.    :-(
> I have some "older" UNIX-systems, so I have to connect them with
> UUCP.
> I'm not a UNIX expert! Now, I work 7 months with UNIX.
>
> This is my solution (without a hack within any source or binary):
> Works only with uucp, not with cu. I have rlogin for this.
>
> - Make a null-modem connection between two serial lines on the same
>   computer. (I know, there could be no serial ports free)
>   Look to "Managing uucp and Usenet", or your Manuals for the pin
>   connections.
>   On my machine this are tty0p2 outgoing, tty0p1 incomming.
>   On tty0p1 runs a getty with 19200 baud.

If you use a `dedicated' pair of pseudo terminals (ptys) then you won't
have to consume two serial ports.  I'm not familiar with the series
800, but on the series 300, a PTY has a major device number of 16
(master) or 17 (slave), and a minor number that is unique for each
master/slave pair.  Thus you could type:

	/etc/mknod /dev/tty0p2 16 0x0000ff
	/etc/mknod /dev/tty0p1 17 0x0000ff

Since tty0p1 is the slave PTY, the getty will hang until uucp opens
tty0p2.  I haven't tried this myself, but I think this will work.

BTW, *don't* give the pair of PTY's you create a standard PTY name
(/dev/pty[pqr]* or /dev/tty[pqr]*), because it will then be subject
to allocation by a UNIX utility that uses PTY's.

--
David Barts			Pacer Corporation
davidb@pacer.uucp		...!uunet!pilchuck!pacer!davidb