[comp.sys.hp] OSF RPC vs Sun/Netwise RPC

fkittred@bbn.com (Fletcher Kittredge) (06/13/90)

	I develop software application systems which run on a wide variety of
platforms.  I am not aware of my company being a member of either OSF or
UI.  I don't care about the origin of either de facto or de juri standards,
all I care about is that they work and are widely supported.  You might say
that people like me are the real 'users' of standards.  From my perspective,
the DEcorum suite is the best standard system since the advent of X.

>In article 1720009@hpbbi4.HP.COM Mark Lufkin writes:
>OSF chose NCS 2.0: "...a joint submission of Digital and Hewlett-Packard."
>This is not a shippable product. It is not appropriate to compare an
>unavailable NCS 2.0 against Sun's RPCGen. Sun has announced availability of
>the Netwise RPC Tool in the Second Half of 1990 ("Distributed Computing Road
>Map--An Outlook on the Future of Open Network Computing" Sun Microsystems,
>Inc., dated April 30, 1990). A comparison of NCS 2.0 and these new Sun
>offerings would be appropriate.

You can make this statement, but that does not make it true.  You should
be aware of the weakness of your position and offer at least some argument.
Acually reading the OSF documents show two items of bearing, OSF is
interested in not only blessing de facto standards, but in moving technology
forward.  Second, all that was required is that a technology is
demonstratable to the OFS.  They were interested in leading technologies
which were demonstratably and testably correct.  This approach has worked
well in the past, look at X and Kerberos.  Both were widely adopted after
they were demonstratably a good idea, but before they were of comercial grade
software.

Fletcher E. Kittredge  fkittred@bbn.com
Platforms and Tools Group
BBN Software Products Company