[comp.sys.hp] Uniplex probs

news@exicom.oz.au (placeholder for future) (06/14/90)

We have had trouble with Uniplex since it was installed.

The basic problems are that the Database system doesnt work
at all, the pick and point system doesnt work, and the tapes
dont work.  Also using some aspects of the spreadsheet system
causes the software to crash.

After a lot of sleuthing, I've managed to track the bug down to
the software (apparently) having trouble with our filesystems
being "long name" vs "short name".  It seems as though the binaries
were compiled for earlier versions of HP-UX which didnt support
this option, and they havent bothered to recompile them for the
later versions of HP-UX which do.  These guys are jerks!
Uniplex in UK, nor local agents seem particularly interested.

Is there anyone out there with the same problem?

The only solution any vendor has come up with is to pay (a lot)
for the upgrade to Uniplex 7.0.  But if they didn't fix this
obvious bug in 6.10 why would they bother with 7.0 ?

We have got a quote for Quadroton Software.  Before sending "good
money after bad", has anyone had problems with it? They dont
have a database system but we really only need the WP and Spreadsheet
system anyway.  Any other OA packages anyone would recommend ?

The local HP guys recommend Uniplex, but their attitude is that
MPE is a _real_ operating system, and HP-UX is for bimbos.

	Thanks in advance.

		David le Comte

paul@actrix.co.nz (Paul Gillingwater) (06/15/90)

In article <AM08June,.1990.22709@exicom.oz.au> davelec@exicom.oz writes:
>We have had trouble with Uniplex since it was installed.
>Is there anyone out there with the same problem?

We saw the problem with long file names as well under HP-UX.
Apparently there is a "long-file names" version of Uniplex v6.x.
We don't believe that Uniplex 7.x will support long file names.

>We have got a quote for Quadroton Software.  Before sending "good
>money after bad", has anyone had problems with it? They dont

I have used the latest version of Quadratron CLIQ, and I am impressed.
It is much better (IMHO) than Uniplex, and supports hooks into Informix
if you need a DBMS.  They even have embedded SQL in CLIQ-Word!
The screen interface is much improved over the previous version of
Q-Office.  Also, Uniplex's implementation of an X Windows interface
is very flakey.  All they do is hide the same old boring menu
system behind an X Window, and map function keys onto widgets.

>have a database system but we really only need the WP and Spreadsheet
>system anyway.  Any other OA packages anyone would recommend ?
Go for CLIQ.  You won't regret it.

>The local HP guys recommend Uniplex, but their attitude is that
>MPE is a _real_ operating system, and HP-UX is for bimbos.

Yes, MPE/XL is real.... but in HP it is starting to become moribund,
and HP-UX is growing very fast.  MPE/XL does have some considerable
advantages in areas such as OLTP and an efficient file system,
compared with HP-UX.

--
Paul Gillingwater, paul@actrix.co.nz