[comp.sys.hp] Help needed with XGIF gif viewer

phil@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk (Phil Jimmieson) (06/12/90)

Hi I'm not sure that this is the right group, nevertheless...

I'm trying to get xgif to work on an HP 300 system.  xgif is a colour gif
viewer for x windows.  It runs only on colour workstations with at least 8
bits-per-pixel.  I got what I assume to be the latest version of the sources
(patch level 1) and it compiles ok, but when I run it it reads the gif file,
creates a destination window, zaps the colour map (if I told it to), but then
falls over when it is about to draw the image.  The error reported is a failure
in XPutImage (bad parameters or somesuch thing).  Has anyone got a gif viewer
working on an HPUX system?  Anyone care to suggest what might be wrong.  As a
newcomer to X windows stuff (I use the Mac much more...) I only have limited
experience with X Windows and this error has got me beat!

Thanks

Phil Jimmieson,           ***************************************************
Computer Science Dept.,   * JANET : PHIL@UK.AC.LIV.CS.MVA                   *
Liverpool University,     * ARPA  : PHIL%mva.cs.liv.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu   *
PO Box 147                ***************************************************
Liverpool  L69  3BX   "When correctly viewed, everything is lewd. I could tell
(UK) 051-794-3689     you things about Peter Pan, and the Wizard of Oz - there's
                      a dirty old man." - Tom Lehrer, "Smut!"

pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) (06/14/90)

phil@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk (Phil Jimmieson) writes:

>Hi I'm not sure that this is the right group, nevertheless...

I've added comp.windows.x to it and redirected followups to same.

>I'm trying to get xgif to work on an HP 300 system.  xgif is a colour gif
>viewer for x windows.  It runs only on colour workstations with at least 8
>bits-per-pixel.  I got what I assume to be the latest version of the sources
>(patch level 1) and it compiles ok, but when I run it it reads the gif file,
>creates a destination window, zaps the colour map (if I told it to), but then
>falls over when it is about to draw the image.  The error reported is a failure
>in XPutImage (bad parameters or somesuch thing).

I have run into the same problem with xgif on Thomas Roell's X11R4
VGA server for Unix System V/386.
--
Pim Zandbergen                             domain : pim@cti-software.nl
CTI Software BV                            uucp   : uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ctisbv!pim

kelso@seas.gwu.edu (John Kelso) (06/14/90)

In article <1990Jun12.151942.9042@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk> phil@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk (Phil Jimmieson) writes:
>I'm trying to get xgif to work on an HP 300 system.  xgif is a colour gif
>viewer for x windows.  It runs only on colour workstations with at least 8
>bits-per-pixel.  I got what I assume to be the latest version of the sources
>(patch level 1) and it compiles ok, but when I run it it reads the gif file,
>creates a destination window, zaps the colour map (if I told it to), but then
>falls over when it is about to draw the image.  The error reported is a failure
>in XPutImage (bad parameters or somesuch thing).  Has anyone got a gif viewer
>working on an HPUX system?  Anyone care to suggest what might be wrong.  As a
>newcomer to X windows stuff (I use the Mac much more...) I only have limited
>experience with X Windows and this error has got me beat!

Are you sure that your HP has 8 bits-per-pixel?  I ran into the same
problem that you did, and found out the reason it did not work on my
workstation, but did on all of our others, is that my workstation only
has 6 bits-per-pixel.  You can find out by noting the type of bit map
display you have- this is displayed when you reboot- and looking it up
on page 9-3 of the "Using the X Window System" manual.  Mine is a
98549, for example.

Hope this helps,

John
--
      John Kelso, System Engineer, George Washington University
     SEAS Computing Facility, 725 23rd St NW, Washington DC 20052

fritz@hpfcbig.SDE.HP.COM (Gary Fritz) (06/15/90)

> Are you sure that your HP has 8 bits-per-pixel?  I ran into the same
> problem that you did, and found out the reason it did not work on my
> workstation, but did on all of our others, is that my workstation only
> has 6 bits-per-pixel.

FYI:  It's possible the xgif you have can't handle 6-bit displays, but
if so, it's not a very robust implementation.  I've sent Phil a copy
of an xgif that works very nicely on my series 300 running HP-UX 7.0
and handles my 6-bit display with no problems.

Gary