[comp.sys.hp] SCCS for HP series 9000

rl23+@andrew.cmu.edu (Robert Griswold Lefferts) (06/05/90)

I have just discovered the existence of the Source Code Control System, and
would like to try running it on a collection of HP series 9000/800 and 300
machines running HP-UX 7.0. Any information regarding SCCS and its
availability, esp. as regards HP, would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Rob Lefferts

rl23@andrew.cmu.edu

stroyan@hpfcso.HP.COM (Mike Stroyan) (06/06/90)

> I have just discovered the existence of the Source Code Control System, and
> would like to try running it on a collection of HP series 9000/800 and 300
> machines running HP-UX 7.0. Any information regarding SCCS and its
> availability, esp. as regards HP, would be appreciated.

SCCS is standard with HP-UX.  It's always been there.

Mike Stroyan, stroyan@hpfcla.hp.com

clarke@hpfcmgw.HP.COM (Clarke Echols) (06/06/90)

> I have just discovered the existence of the Source Code Control System, and
> would like to try running it on a collection of HP series 9000/800 and 300
> machines running HP-UX 7.0. Any information regarding SCCS and its
> availability, esp. as regards HP, would be appreciated.

SCCS has always been shipped with HP-UX.  A tutorial is included in the
manual set as well.  Another system called RCS (Revision Control System)
is also provided.  See rcsintro(5) in the HP-UX Reference for a description.
Commands include rcs(1) to manipulate RCS files, rcsdiff(1) to compare two
versions, rcsmerge(1) to merge two descendents of a common version into a
single new version, co(1) and ci(1) to check out and check in a given
version, etc.  I like RCS better, mainly because I've used it more and
it stores the most recent version with deltas to derive earlier versions
whereas SCCS stores the original and uses deltas to derive subsequent
versions.

Clarke Echols, clarke@hpfcma.hp.com
-----------------------------------

kah@hpfcso.HP.COM (Kathy Harris) (06/07/90)

[WARNING: BASE NOTE DRIFT]

>version, etc.  I like RCS better, mainly because I've used it more and
>it stores the most recent version with deltas to derive earlier versions
>whereas SCCS stores the original and uses deltas to derive subsequent
>versions.

NO, NO, NO!!!  Your description of how SCCS files are stored and various
versions retrieved is TOTALLY WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Try "cat" on a s-file
that has had several deltas to it.

But I have given up trying to straighten people out on this...  Old
legends die hard, especially when propagated in an emotional battle
over which source control system is better...

Kathy Harris
Opinions, as always,  my own, not my employer's.

fred@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl (Fred Appelman) (06/12/90)

In article <7370149@hpfcso.HP.COM> stroyan@hpfcso.HP.COM (Mike Stroyan) writes:

>> I have just discovered the existence of the Source Code Control System, and
>> would like to try running it on a collection of HP series 9000/800 and 300
>> machines running HP-UX 7.0. Any information regarding SCCS and its
>> availability, esp. as regards HP, would be appreciated.

>SCCS is standard with HP-UX.  It's always been there.

>Mike Stroyan, stroyan@hpfcla.hp.com

Yes it has always been there, BUT IT IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH E.G. SUN SCCS!!!

Fred Appelman  (fred@cv.ruu.nl)

neil@yc.estec.nl (Neil Dixon) (06/12/90)

In article <3434@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl>, fred@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl (Fred
Appelman) writes:

|>Yes it has always been there, BUT IT IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH E.G. SUN SCCS!!!

Please could you enlighten all of us without Sun manuals handy, what the
differences are.

Neil Dixon <neil@yc.estec.nl> UUCP:...!mcvax!esatst!neil, BITNET: NDIXON@ESTEC
Thermal Control & Life Support Division (YC)
European Space Research and Technology Centre (ESTEC),
Noordwijk, The Netherlands.

In article <1380@esatst.yc.estec.nl> neil@yc.estec.nl (Neil Dixon) writes:

>In article <3434@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl>, fred@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl (Fred
>Appelman) writes:
>|>
>|>Yes it has always been there, BUT IT IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH E.G. SUN SCCS!!!
>|>

>Please could you enlighten all of us without Sun manuals handy, what the
>differences are.

I'm sorry I can't give you a detailed explanation what the differences are. What
I can tell is my experience with switching from a Sun to a HP about 1.5 years
ago. Alle files stored in a SCCS archive by a Sun could not be extracted on
a HP system. I no longer have access to a Sun with SCCS, so I can't tell you
the differences more exactly.

Fred Appelman (fred@cv.ruu.nl)

glad@daimi.dk (Michael Glad) (06/13/90)

fred@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl (Fred Appelman) writes:

>I can tell is my experience with switching from a Sun to a HP about 1.5 years
>ago. Alle files stored in a SCCS archive by a Sun could not be extracted on
>a HP system. I no longer have access to a Sun with SCCS, so I can't tell you
>the differences more exactly.

I've working in a mixed environment of HP9000 series 300 workstations
and SUN's. I've frequently doing SCCS commands on files shared by NFS,
also enable editing on a SUN and checking the revisions in on a HP and
vice versa.

I've never had such problems.

HP's SCCS though seems to have some silly SYSV restriction left on
the length of filenames.

Michael Glad, email: glad@daimi.dk
Computer Science Department
Aarhus University
Denmark

>What I can tell is my experience with switching from a Sun to a HP
>about 1.5 years ago. Alle files stored in a SCCS archive by a Sun
>could not be extracted on a HP system.

As in "no files stored in an SCCS archive by a Sun could be extracted on
an HP system" or "not all files stored in an SCCS archive by a Sun could
be extracted on an HP system"?

I would find the former next to impossible to believe; the SunOS SCCS is
based on the S3 (sic) one, with some tweaks, and I assume the HP one is
based on some S5 release, so they both come from the same basic AT&T
code.

The latter is possible; at one point, a hack was stuck into the SunOS
SCCS to allow you to stick binary files under SCCS.  They get uuencoded;
it's possible that those files would confuse an unmodified SCCS.

dave@dptechno.UUCP (Dave Lee) (06/14/90)

>In article <7370149@hpfcso.HP.COM> stroyan@hpfcso.HP.COM (Mike Stroyan) writes:
>
>>> I have just discovered the existence of the Source Code Control System, and
>>> would like to try running it on a collection of HP series 9000/800 and 300
>>> machines running HP-UX 7.0. Any information regarding SCCS and its
>>> availability, esp. as regards HP, would be appreciated.
>
>>SCCS is standard with HP-UX.  It's always been there.
>
>Yes it has always been there, BUT IT IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH E.G. SUN SCCS!!!

I disagree.

Only the command interface is incompatible. The file formats
are compatible (except for sun style binary sccs files ...). We use SCCS
here on HP-UX 7.0 NFS'd to a sun with no problems.
We can check in/out files, make deltas, It works exactly as documented.

Of course make(1) doesnt know about a SCCS/ directory automatically as it
does on a sun.
@
@
@
@

--
Dave Lee
uunet!dptechno!dave

fred@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl (Fred Appelman) (06/16/90)

In article <3458@auspex.auspex.com> guy@auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:

>The latter is possible; at one point, a hack was stuck into the SunOS
>SCCS to allow you to stick binary files under SCCS.  They get uuencoded;
>it's possible that those files would confuse an unmodified SCCS.

You are probably right about this. I normally store programs and .o files
in the archive too. I never realised that this might be reason of the
failure.

Fred Appelman (fred@cv.ruu.nl)