[comp.sys.hp] diff hp28s hp48sx

ezk@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Erez Zadok) (06/14/90)

Hi, could someone tell me what's the difference between the 28s and 48sx?  I
have the 28s so I'm trying to figure out if it's worth getting it.  You can
send me replies via email if you wish.

Thanks,
Erez Zadok.
A wank's morning starts	one machine   | Arpa:	ezk@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu
clock cycle after midnight.	      | Usenet: rutgers!columbia!cunixf!ezk
		- HebrewWank #1       | Bitnet:	ezk@cunixf, erzus@cuvmb

louxj@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (John W. Loux) (06/15/90)

In article <1990Jun14.144629.8506@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> ezk@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Erez Zadok) writes:
>Hi, could someone tell me what's the difference between the 28s and 48sx?  I
>have the 28s so I'm trying to figure out if it's worth getting it.  You can
>send me replies via email if you wish.
>
>Thanks,
>Erez Zadok.

First of all, let me direct you to a more appropriate newsgroup:
comp.sys.handhelds.  It has a bunch of 48 people posting to it.  Most of the
48 descriptions have long since been posted, though.

I have collected most of the reviews of the 48 and could mail you one or more
if you want.  I also wrote a comparison for my newsletter and could either
mail you a copy or email you the TeX version.

Let me know.

John W. Loux
Solve and Integrate Corp.
PO Box 1928
Corvallis OR 97339
louxj@jacobs.cs.orst.edu

umapd51@sunc.cc.ic.ac.uk (W.A.C. Mier-Jedrzejowicz) (06/16/90)

Hi, a lot of people might ask this question in this group so I am
sending a follow up here instead of emailing you. Details of the HP28,
HP48, and other HP handhelds are regularly, indeed frequently, posted in
comp.sys.handhelds. Postings about HP handhelds make up more than half
of the total postings in that area.
As for your question, briefly the HP48SX (Scientific eXpandable) is just
that, eXpandable. It has infrared input AND output, an RS232 port (a
special cable is needed, but it is just a straight-through 4-wire cable)
with Kermit built-in to let you transfer data to and from PCs, as well
as direct transfer to printers. It has slots for two plug-in Epson
memory cards - ROM or RAM. On the software side, the internal ROM is
double the size of of that on the 48 - the same programming language but
lots of extra features, including symbolic integration, efficient
handling of units, and excellent graphics. The 48 graphics screen is
bigger than that of the 28 too.
Wlodek Mier-Jedrzejowicz,
Space and Atmospheric Physics, Imperial College, London, U.K.
BITNET: UMAPD51 @ VAXA.CC.IC.AC.UK
Unix mail - see header

umapd51@sunc.cc.ic.ac.uk (W.A.C. Mier-Jedrzejowicz) (06/16/90)

Apologies. In my previous reply to the question about differences
between the HP-28S and the HP48SX I wrote that the 48SX has twice as
much ROM as the 48 - that should have been twice as much as the 28 -
hope it was obvious.

W.A.C.Mier-Jedrzejowicz